Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

14 Posts

January 6th, 2008 23:00

SP2208WFP not saving "zoom" setting with HDMI

I have my new SP2208WFP connected via HDMI cable with a ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card. Every time I boot the computer it starts with Zoom setting at 10, thus causing the 1680x1050 image to expand beyond the edges of the screen. Changing it to 0 fixes it, but this setting is lost at next reboot.  
The setting is also lost if there is a simple change in graphics settings (e.g. a screensaver that uses a different resolution). For the time being I am back to an analog VGA cable (how 1990's! :-)) and it seems to provide a temporary fix. I've got to wonder how well tested the settings were with HDMI input. 
BTW This is one of three issues I have with this monitor. Other issues (covered by other threads) are:
- Monitor goes into Power Save mode and will not "wake up" again. Have to force shutdown of PC and reboot both PC and monitor
- Webcam driver fails to load correctly, and consequently screws up other imaging devices (scanner, digital camera). 
Any advice?

January 29th, 2008 13:00

Hi there
I received this monitor (SP2208WFP) yesterday & have the same problem you have with the stupid zoom feature!

I have it running on a ATI 3870 512mb through the HDMI as both the DVI & VIDEO ports seem dead & fail to work at all and the monitor just goes into standby mode when the system boots.

Also when Booting into windows running through HDMI the screen has a GREEN background instead of the normal blue/black screen (you get in a Dos environment) until it loads into windows then it runs correctly.

All monitor drivers are installed as are the colour management .icm files.
The web cam works as it should atm.

When I opened the Box I did notice that the standard video cable was still connected to the monitor
Which I assumed was due to the tech testing the monitor before shipping but mabe now its because the monitor was a return? I say may be as I can not be 100% sure.

Another point to note DELL is how in smell are we supposed to read the Help files/pdfs if the monitor fails to work out of the box? when the files are all on disk.
It was fortunate that I had a spare HDMI lead handy & I could finally load up the dvd.

So it looks like I have to go through the hastle of replacing this monitor.

This is not really what I would of expected from a big company like DELL but I guess its all about filling boxes and getting them out the door as fast as they can.

Thanks for the hastle Dell.

14 Posts

January 30th, 2008 00:00

Yes, I forgot to mention the weird green background on bootup.

I solved all the other issues by removing by graphics card and drivers and going back to onboard video / VGA cable. So, for now at least, I don't have the zoom issue either.

I'm hesitant to go HDMI again until I can see some response from Dell that this is properly supported...

January 30th, 2008 02:00

Well after being on the 0870 number for just over an hour and after being past from pillar to post 6 times, I finally got to a tech who has now authorized a replacement monitor for me.

So I really really hope the replacement is 100% fine or I will look to get my cash back.

They are replacing it due to the DVI & Standard Video ports failing.
I still don't think they are dealing with the Zoom issue which is pain.
There really is no excuse for dell to not fix this ASAP.

Its still bugs me that we have to run around these company's to get problems resolved & to have to ring a ripoff 0870 number.

Simmondsi you should not have to resort to using an internal Mobo Graphics card just so you can use a monitor its very poor show if you ask me by DELL. You don't blow £200+ on the monitor & say another £100 - £200 on a middle end Graphics cards just to watch them collect dust.

The HDMI is fine for me & as long as they fix the present issue like there jobs depended on it (yeah right) & you just have to be aware of what OSD features are disabled when using the different ports.

Lets hope they sort it soon

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2008 13:00

All,

Going back to the zoom default setting is by design. The default setting for the monitor is 1680x1050. Press the Menu button to open the OSD menu and display the main menu. It must say Resolution 1680x1050 60Hz. if yours does not, then the video card display setting is incorrect.

1 Message

December 16th, 2014 22:00

After upgrading computers, I recently switched from using the DVI input on my SP2208WFP to using the HDMI input. I now have the same issue described by the OP. To confirm, the OSD says "Resolution 1680x1050 60Hz," but the Zoom is automatically reset to 10 after Power Save or changing any other setting on the OSD. With the Zoom at 10, part of the image is cut off, so it is annoying to have to reset the Zoom to 0 via the OSD any time Power Save is activated.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 24th, 2014 13:00

Zoom setting with HDMI reverts to 10 on reboot or power save. This was by design and never changed for this 7 year old monitor.

1 Message

April 4th, 2018 09:00

Chris,

Can you tell us the purpose of this design feature please and let us know if it's possible to bypass it?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 4th, 2018 10:00

Purpose, no idea. That was a decision made by the manufacturer. I have never seen a way to bypass it.

* Open the Menu
* Click Factory Reset
* Click All Settings
* Go back to Positioning
* What is the default Factory Setting for Horizontal, Vertical, and Zoom?

1 Message

April 15th, 2019 12:00

I Have the same problem, interestingly, it only reared its ugly head 6 months after I started using this screen. I made adjustments on my Graphics Card Settings, made custom aspect ratio, reduced both sides to 85%. If you follow your GPU guides, you can adjust the computer, and let the Monitor act badly anyway.

Cheers!

No Events found!