Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2017 07:00

SP2309W Webcam crashes my PC after Windows 10 Creator Update

It seems the Windows 10 Creator Update is even more fussy about drivers than previous versions, as I eventually discovered this version crashes when connected to the SP2309W built in webcam.  I had to disconnect the monitor’s USB hub to complete the upgrade, as it also connects the webcam. After the upgrade if I now plug the USB hub into a USB port, it instantly crashes my PC with the blue screen message described below.  

Microsoft’s error messages are not helpful. Originally all I saw was a blue screen message telling me that the automatic upgrade had failed due to a System Service Exception and ks.sys had failed! Even when I tried using a USB upgrade stick, this upgrade still crashed. However this method did give me slightly more error info as to why the upgrade failed. “The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSREP operation” with the error code 0xC1900101 – 0x300018. This lead me to this link. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors#extend-codes to translate but even that did not tell me the exact cause. Ultimately finding other clues from Googling other sites coupled with my diagnostic skills found that the webcam/ USB hub was the cause of the crash.

As the SP2309W monitor is still working OK, does anyone know how I can still keep using its webcam and USB hub? Any chance that Dell might relent and offer a driver update?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi bruven,

Thanks for posting.

From the information I've found, you will have to install the Windows 10 without the webcam plugged in.  Once the upgrade has completed, then plug in the webcam and it might work. But, this 8 year old monitor will not get Windows 10 validation.

1. Unplug the USB cable from the monitor

2. Upgrade Windows normally, by restarting

3. Boot into Windows normally after the upgrade

4. Plug USB back into the monitor, system will blue screen

5. Allow info to be collected, allow system to reboot normally

You must have the latest version of Dell webcam central running in the background, even if you aren't using it.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2017 02:00

Hi Robert P,

Thanks for your reply. You have correctly summarised my issue.

Just for clarification my (non Dell) PC had successfully updated to Windows 10 Home Creator (v1703 build 15063.296).

I understand that you are suggesting I install the latest version of Dell Webcam Central to resolve my issue. Where can I download this application from?

Thanks for your help.

John

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 26th, 2017 05:00

2 Posts

June 4th, 2017 11:00

I am having the exact same problem, a monitor and webcam that is totally useless.  I can't even download the software at all...  I don't have a Dell computer, so it won't let me Register my system. so I can't even get to the download page at all.. NOW WHAT?

3 Posts

June 4th, 2017 13:00

Hi Gg, Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one suffering from this issue. However if you disconnect the USB lead to your monitor, you should find you can still use just the monitor and nothing else, as this works for me. Also like you I cannot download the suggested software as I don't use a Dell computer.

Regarding ...NOW WHAT? I suppose your ultimate option is to replace your monitor with one that works fully with Windows 10. If I have to go down that route Dell monitors will not be on my short list, given Dell's apparent policy of not supporting their kit when later versions of Windows are released!

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2017 13:00

This happened to my SP2309W after the Anniversary update to Windows 10, which apparently changed the way webcams are handled in Windows.  Microsoft eventually did Dell's job and fixed it, but the only way to avoid crashes in the interim was to keep the monitor's usb disconnected from the Windows PC... since the webcam uses the USB.  I would guess that Creators Update rebroke it... but again, the burden should be on Dell not Microsoft to support the monitor.  The 2309 is still a high end monitor even by todays standards, and one of the main ways for consumers to differentiate peripheral and PC makers is based on support.  HP got this very wrong, and paid a long term price for it.  Dell seems to be reading their old playbook to save $ in the short run, but why would anybody buy Dell products if they can't maintain simple drivers for monitors with major Windows releases?  This kind of product support is a hackers dream too.  In the meantime, perfectly good high def monitor with no ability to use the built in webcam or built in USB hub.

DELL-Robert P... why make us jump through hoops to find the Dell Webcam Central 2.0 software? Like others here, I am unable to pull it from your link..will you just post the direct link to the download so we can hope to fix the problem?

No Events found!