Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2008 12:00

Scratches on Dell 2408 monitor -- is this OK ?

Few days ago, I finally received the LCD monitor Dell 2408WFP. I was impressed with the image quality. However, I saw the scratches on the back of the monitor (where the stand clamps onto the panel), 

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/5576/p1040750scaledbu0.jpg (size 43 kB) (bottom side and top left corner). 

The scratches are deep, the silver paint is scratched off, and the underlaying plastic is exposed. It looks like the stand was clipped on and off the panel many times. In other words, it looks like the monitor was used. And I bought the new monitor !

I wonder if such scratches are allowable in a new monitor, and do I have a case for the replacement of the monitor ?

37 Posts

April 17th, 2008 18:00

You can get a new replacement within 21 days.

My main concern would be, how do you like the image on this unit?

If the picture is great and the paint behind the VESA is scratched, I can live with that because it won't really be seen.  If you get a replacement, you may risk getting one with red tint, dead pixels, uneven brightness, etc...  I would stick with it if you love the picture, the panel you get is a bit of a lottery.

Of both are unacceptable, I would wait for a revision in a couple months and try again.

Message Edited by mpdesigner on 04-17-2008 02:32 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2008 21:00

The screen has a backlight bleeding along the left side; it is not strong, but still noticeable, http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9198/p1040745scaledmm0.jpg (size 13 kB). I am not sure whether this is normal, and whether this warrants replacement. In principle, I could live with that level of bleeding, but I would expect a better quality from an expensive product. The screen has no dead pixels, and no tinting.

I rang Dell Australia in order to get their advice whether such bleeding was normal and whether the screen with such scratches was previously unused; they were quick to jump to the suggestion to ship me a new screen as replacement. They told me they would ship a new screen (not a refurbished one) because I contacted them within 3 days (!) from purchase. After deliberation, I reluctantly agreed. No the question is: at some stage, I will have two screens -- can I keep the one which has less bleeding ? Or do I necessarily have to return the old monitor ? Do they at Dell check the unique number on each returned monitor (if such thing exist) ? Thanks.

37 Posts

April 17th, 2008 22:00

That is the exact same left side bleeding problem I had which warranted my refutrn for a full refund.  I suspect these are common issues with most if not all A00 units.

I believe they do check serial numbers but perhaps packing a note would help explain your return of the replacement?  I think I did that with a Dell P1110 monitor replacement many years ago.

I am awating a A01 revision before considering purchasing a 2408WFP again.  Now I am back to using my Dell 1900fp which is still fantastic and flawless after nearly 5 years of use.  That remains my best monitor purchase ever, never had to do any replacements on that one.

Message Edited by mpdesigner on 04-17-2008 06:06 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 18th, 2008 05:00

I have another issue with the image quality. The black is not exactly black, it is rather small splotches of khaki color on black. It looks very much like the chromatic noise in Panasonic cameras. As a comparison, my LG L194WT monitor with a TN panel had a uniform black.

(Here is an illustration. With a 2408 monitor, I see a "splotched" background around the tortilla in the tortilla picture in the DEll 2408 review, http://monitortest.blogspot.com/ , while it should be black. In my CRT monitor, I see the uniform black.)

I wonder if this is normal. If not, can I get read of it by adjustment and how ?

No Events found!