Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2009 12:00

Screen too small... Word ruler says 8.5 inches but it's really about 8.0 inches!

New monitor = Dell SP2309W.  OS = XP.  Resolution set to "optimal" 2048x1152 @ 96dpi (I don't have admin privileges to change this to 120dpi, but that should make it too big anyway).

If I put a piece of 8.5x11 paper up to the screen, it is about 1/2inch wider than the Word document (i.e., an inch on the screen is less than an actual inch).  Same thing for vertical.  The iRuler.net site also shows a smaller than accurate ruler.  The text of Explorer, Word, and everything is smaller with this monitor as well.  Trying different resolution setting does not seem to help.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

1.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 15:00

hanshananigan

Use the zoom function in word to make the document any size you want on the screen. With a 23" wide screen if you set the zoom in word to page width you will be able to read the fonts from across the room.

January 26th, 2009 05:00

Thanks Jimmy, but that does not solve the problem.  The problem is that using my past monitor (and most that I have used), Word documents have had a 1:1 ratio, that is, an 8.5"x11" document would be 8.5"x11" on the screen.  That is not the case with my new monitor.  It seems everything (documents, text size on e-mails, etc) has been "shrunk."  Note that I said that an online ruler was also off by 0.5".  From what I've been reading online, I'm getting the feeling that Dell does not know how to fix this problem for newer, higher definition monitors.

1.5K Posts

January 27th, 2009 12:00

I have three monitors in front of me, a 1901FP, a 1707FP and a 2005FPW, on none of them are word documents 1:1 at the default view. Iruler is accurate on the 1901FP and the 1707FP but it does not detect the correct size on the 2005wfp. I have to manually set the size of the screen and the aspic ratio, it is then accurate.

There is no problem to fix here, word does not display documents in true size, it displays them to fit the window that is open.

January 30th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the extra work, Jimmy.  That's interesting, that the iruler.net does not detect the correct size on the widescreen monitor.  Can you walk me though "manually set the size of the screen and the aspic ratio"?  I don't seem to have an option to change the aspect ratio (I can select full screen or maintain ratio).  What do you mean by "manually set the size of the screen?"  I can, of course, change the resolution.  I can also change the dpi (well, I can't- I have in a work order to our IT department because I don't have admin privileges to change dpi).  I think changing the dpi will help by making everything on the screen larger as well.

1.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2009 16:00

Thanks for the extra work, Jimmy.  That's interesting, that the iruler.net does not detect the correct size on the widescreen monitor.  Can you walk me though "manually set the size of the screen and the aspic ratio"?  I don't seem to have an option to change the aspect ratio (I can select full screen or maintain ratio).  What do you mean by "manually set the size of the screen?"

If you look right below the ruler you will see: Your display was distinguished as ##''
If you have different display select your monitor dimension »

Click on select your monitor dimensions and then even more>> put in the correct size and aspect ratio. Its not the monitor thats the problem it's iruler.net.

February 7th, 2009 13:00

Thanks Jimmy.  I that is helpful for iruler.net.  I can't seem to find the same options in Microsoft Word (to set the ruler to be a true 100%) but I'll take that up with Microsoft support.  I had IT change my dpi from 96 to 120, which made everything bigger (text, icons, etc), so it is much easier to view.  Lets call it resolved!  thanks.

No Events found!