Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2012 14:00

Suitable replacement for E248WFP 24" in matt black and good solid weight

I was recently given a Dell E248WFP 24" monitor that works well except for two nasty lines of dead pixels running vertically. I really like the weight and solid stand (it does not wiggle on the desk like most new monitors), plus too, the matt black finish matches my other monitors (glossy black bezels are a no-no for my needs). I quickly got addicted to the added speakers as well. ;-)

Does Dell sell a similar monitor that has the features of weight, solid base, and matt black finish in 22"-24"? I will only need the monitor for business use (word processing, spreadsheets, static graphics, and basic stuff) with no gaming or video. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

58 Posts

January 8th, 2012 11:00

No prob pal. For the past couple of years I had been using an Acer AL1714, 1280 x 1024, until it developed 3 lines like you described. This fault is with the TAB connections to the screen deeming it beyond repair. So I looked around (a lot) and did my research (tons) and after a few weeks I landed on a great eBay deal for a pre-owned U2410. Had it a month now and I'm chuffed with it, so much so I'm looking at getting a second one. What a MASSIVE difference compared to my Acer.

I also then got a faulty E248WFP which I fixed but it was only temporary - I'm now waiting for a signal board to arrive from a seller in Canada - but the screen is perfect. That's why I was asking about yours, it would have made a good parts donor.

Anyways, without going into too much detail I would recommend you try and get a used U2410. But do your research first as there are plenty of examples of people not being happy with theirs. Thing is, all these different web forums are mostly full of people with faulty goods/complaints - generally people don't post on forums specifically to extol their particular piece of kit.  At the end of the day it's your choice.

Good luck   ;-)  

4 Posts

January 7th, 2012 19:00

Thanks dumpystig, but I'm in Texas, and too I like the monitor way too much to let it go. I'll later be using it on a computer that I use for software testing, but not until I find a good replacement for my primary computer. ;-)

I wish Dell still had this model available, it's ideal for my needs.

58 Posts

January 7th, 2012 19:00

If you are in the UK and getting rid of your E248WFP then let me know,, thanks.

4 Posts

January 8th, 2012 16:00

Thanks dumpystig, I'm looking at a couple U2410s right now. Is your U2410 solid sitting on the desk? I had looked at several local stores that sell popular brands but the monitors wiggled really bad on their cheap bases, and no matt black monitor can be found at any price. I haven't shopped for monitors in years, and I'm very disappointed in the low quality enclosures offered today. I would much prefer to buy locally so that I can verify that there are no dead pixels, but I may have to settle for mail-order.

I started looking at the NECs; they might be my second choice if the U2410 doesn't pan-out. The E248 has really spoiled me and now I can't settle for less. ;-)

My E248 apparently had a stuck pixel that the customer tapped and caused it to spread. At present it looks like something got spilled inside the LCD glass, with the vertical lines being about 1/4" apart, ragged (bleeds outward like water colors on a paper towel), and running about 70% of the height. I am not as familiar with manufacturing techniques as I used to be, but I am guessing that perhaps the liquid crystal is losing electrical connectivity. Either way, it's surely not fixable with more tapping! LOL

58 Posts

January 9th, 2012 09:00

The replacement Logic Board for my E248WFP arrived earlier today. Once fitted the monitor powered up fine, been running about 5 hours now with no problems so I'm pretty confident that it's a fix. Which makes it a good result for me - bought it as faulty for a very good price and spotted the board on eBay at a cheap price too. Hopefully you will find another one with a suitable donor screen to use as a supplement to your 'new' U2410   ;-)

4 Posts

January 9th, 2012 10:00

Thanks! Yeah, I think I will continue looking for an inexpensive replacement screen for the E248 for a while, and if no success I will start planning on a U2410 or similar. So far Dell is the only brand that offers the features I want within a price range that I can afford (or want to spend). Actually, Dell's monitors are giving me a higher opinion of Dell itself.

I logged in yesterday to reply and I noticed that your post was gone; I didn't realize it had been deleted. So now I know. :)

1 Message

September 12th, 2012 20:00

Hello Dumpystig,       I seen your post while I was looking for a possible cause and fix for vertical lines on my E248WFP monitor. The monitor displays light vertical lines that are evenly spaced across the panel. I seen where you fixed your monitor by replacing the logic  board and was wondering what kind of issue you were having prior to the fix? I have already changed out the main board with no change in the image. I am  hoping that replacing the logic board might  fix this problem. Thought I would contact you to see if my problem is the same issue you had.   Thanks!

Dan 

No Events found!