Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2010 19:00

Trouble downloading driver for my E228WFP

I have a Dell XPS 420 with Windows 7 64 bit. I can't get the system to recognize my monitor. So, I went to Dell and downloaded the driver. The Dell website says that the installation is self executing.. that I just click on the folder once it is downloaded and it will install... however it doesnt work... when i click and double click all i get is the "open " command. So, how do I go about installing the downloaded files so that my computer can recognize the monitor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 7th, 2010 07:00

I just looked through the Windows 7 driver list and there is no E228WFP. If your monitor is not in the Drivers for Microsoft Windows 7 drop down list, there will not be one. Windows 7 will load its generic PNP driver for the monitor.

2 Posts

July 19th, 2010 12:00

its really unfortunate that Dell doesnt choose to update a driver for this relatively new monitor. I will definitely look elsewhere the next time I need a monitor.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2010 16:00

I got it to work.

I have a dell e228wfp that I used on a new custom built PC.  I understand why dell wouldn't support legacy peripherals... they want you to spend money.  Bad ethics, good business. Anyways, I'm guessing they're not going to tell you that you can get it to work somehow.  Hopefully this doesn't get erased, so it can help others.
------------

Before starting, go ahead and go to dell's support page and download the XP drivers for the monitor.

1) Windows Key + Pause gets you to System Properties > go to Hardware Device Manager, look for monitors on the list of devices on your PC, expand it and it'll probably say something like a Generic VGA something or other.

2) Right click that > Update Driver > Search somewhere on my computer > !! "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" > Have disk > locate the XP driver you downloaded > install.

3) It should work, nothing will happen.

4) Reboot.  Now the Monitor should show at 1680 x whatever.

4 Posts

November 6th, 2010 08:00

I updated my computer to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that has a E228WFP monitor and a Galaxy GT 220 PCIe video card.  I went to Dell's monitor drivers web site and downloaded the Vista 64 bit driver for the E228WFP as Win 7 did not list the E228WFP monitor.  The driver came in a zip file and I had to unzip it and move the files into a new folder in order for shin_tre instructions to work.  I followed shin_tre instructions and after rebooting I was able to set screen resolution to 1680 x 1050, the highest I have ever gotten on my 2 year old monitor.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2010 10:00

Glad I could help!

1 Message

November 2nd, 2011 21:00

WOW! AND THANKS! THIS WORKED FOR ME AND SAVED ME ABOUT $400 ON MY DUAL MONITOR SYSTEM!

I upgraded to Win7 PRO 64 Bit with a new GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1024MB,256-BIT) Video card and for the life of me could not get Windows 7 to recognize max resolution on either monitor... so i googled the issue of "DELL E228WFP Not Recognizing Max Resolution on Win 7 pro 64bit" for about a day and a half when low and behold i found this post on getting DELL E228WFP Monitors to recognize Max Resolution of 1680 x 1050. I almost had to buy 2 new monitors but this post bought me some time and SUPPORT would not tell me the secret. DELL PLEASE DO NOT ERASE THIS POST IF YOU VALUE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

I followed your instructions exactly and WOW... IT WORKED!!!!

THANK YOU! Now i can save the money for my kids.

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 07:00

I can't seem to find ANY of the drivers for the 228WFP on the Dell site anymore.  Any chance one of you saved it off and has it handy and could email it to me or something?

Thanks in advance!

1 Message

August 19th, 2012 08:00

I found a list of monitor drivers here: http://ftp.dell.com/monitors/.  R144815.zip and R137889.zip both apply to E228WFP monitor but neither would let me set it to 1680 x 1050.  Is there a list somewhere that shows which drivers at the ftp site apply to which monitors?  Many of the files give no clue as to which monitors they support.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 20th, 2012 22:00

fcambel,

No, the FTP site does not have such a listing. What operating system are you running? Is the video card driver loaded and does the video card appear in the Device Manager?

October 26th, 2012 12:00

I tried the Dell PC Diagnostics web utility and after granting all permissions it does't even recognize the existence of the E228WFP monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2012 13:00

DocumentRunr,

* What specific video card?
* What ports are on the video card?
* What port are you using from the video card to what port on the monitor?
* Are you using the Dell supplied cable?
* What operating system are you running?
* What is the desktop resolution?
* Is the video card driver loaded and does the video card appear in the Device Manager?

October 26th, 2012 14:00

*Video Display Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600

*I/O Port is 0x00002000-0x00002FFF

*Monitor is connected to the Laptop using the Dell Suppied VGA Cable

*OS is Vista32 Home Premium

*Resolution is 1680x1050

*Yes video card is loaded and Shows in Device manager as NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600

Monitor displays fonts much better after resetting it using the Microsoft Fix It tool. Don't use the built in reset.

support.microsoft.com/.../Windows_Display_Quality_Diagnostics

Going forward, we really need to have drivers posted on the product page and Windows 7 Drivers available for this monitor. All that customers really expect when we purchase a product is that the device works as advertised and that it is supported for a reasonable lenghth of time. I think that 5-7 years from the date of last sale is reasonable. Otherwise we start losing functionality of our equipment almost as soon as it's out the door. Microsoft and Apple support their products for several years, why can't Dell do the same?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2012 18:00

DocumentRunr,

So you did figure out how to setup the monitor via extended desktop through the Nvidia control panel?

Dell only writes monitor inf files for the operating systems that were being sold when the monitor was released to sale. We are going to disagree with your 5-7 year range. Our marketing model will only reflect the monitor warranty offerings. The E228WFP sold with a maximum 3 year warranty. Windows 7 came out after that 3 year mark. You can load the Vista inf file via compatibility mode.

October 28th, 2012 22:00

Here is the Vista 32 driver file for this monitor that I used.

en.community.dell.com/.../20215914.aspx

Searching for the product manuals was difficult on here, as the product page said there were no downloads avaliable, huh. So I'll post a link to the page here.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

November 1st, 2012 19:00

Be sure to look at the thread  en.community.dell.com/.../20218203.aspx  Currently the survey says that 95% of the respondents are having difficulties with drivers and downloads. Can Dell Do Better?

No Events found!