Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

July 17th, 2016 10:00

U2311H, Lenovo laptop HDMI to monitor DVI

I am using the Dell U2311H monitor (Rev A00) for a long period. However, since the purchase of the monitor, I never use the DVI and Display Port before, until recent bought of Lenovo Y700 laptop.

This laptop only comes with HDMI for external connection. In order to resolve that, I bought the HDMI to DVI-D converter from this website. From the laptop HDMI, with HDMI cable, I connect it to this adapter and plug into the DVI-D port on the monitor.

However, the monitor DVI port isn't working. The laptop able to detect the monitor, but the display was blank.

Before plugin the cable, the monitor shown No DVI-D Cable as below:

After plugin the connection cable (HDMI with HDMI female to DVI-D male converter), the monitor show a black screen with message below:

Here is the screen where the laptop show monitor was detected with resolution set to 1920x1080 60Hz by default.

I tried all different available resolution, the monitor screen still blank. I have updated the laptop with all latest version of driver.

I tried to connect the same connection to my Android TV box that using HDMI, which can be configure to 4k, 1080 and 720 both 50Hz or 60Hz, the monitor still a total blank. However, miracle happened when i connect the HDMI to my Yamaha DRX-730 player output, the monitor show the image as play on the DVD player. But in much lower resolution. Based on the Yamaha DRX-730 user manual, this player can output 1080, 720 and amazingly 480.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/551345/Yamaha-Drx-730.html?page=19#manual

In short, i conclude that the DVI-D port on U2311H was down and only able to work with 480 resolution. Does my conclusion make sense? Since the monitor is out of warranty, I doubt Dell still support for the repair. So my next question would be on: DisplayPort on U2311H, can my Lenovo Y700 HDMI output the signal and display properly through a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter? Is the passive displayport converter can do the job or i need the expensive active displayport converter?

Or the DVI-D chip set and DisplayPort chipset are shared and hence the failure on DVI port will be duplicated into DisplayPort? Your professional opinion is really required for me to move to the next step.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 25th, 2016 08:00

The adapter you purchased is designed to do =
Computer DVI out to monitor HDMI in
"The DVI24+1 male to HDMI female adapter convert the DVI signal to HDMI connection."

You are using it backwards and it will not work. You need to purchase an HDMI to DVI cable =

Lenovo Y700 laptop HDMI out port --> HDMI to DVI cable --> U2311H DVI in port

2 Posts

July 25th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for the reply, i thought the DVI and HDMI signals can work bi-directional on that converter. Never thought it is only from DVI signal to HDMI only, but not vice versa.
But somehow that converter can work perfectly with Intel CompuStick, which is a HDMI male, plug into the adapter HDMI female, then into the monitor DVI. It just work :emotion-3:

My friend gave me this (picture below, HDMI male to DVI female) with DVI cable to monitor, this work fine for my application.

No Events found!