Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2012 14:00

U2311H displayport queiston

I have one question:

I connect my laptop to U2311H via displayport cable, and when the machine goes into sleep/hibernation, the monitor will go to powersaving mode. 

No problem.

But if I disconnect my laptop from the displayport cable later, the monitor will show " no displayport cable " and the backlight will be on for all day.

It's very confusing when I am in rush in the morning, the monitor doesn't know to shut itself off and I will need to do it manually every time.

Any solution ?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 26th, 2012 13:00

No. Your disrupting the DP (DisplayPort) handshake by simply removing the DP cable from the laptop. The monitor is acting by design with that message. You should be able to open the Display properties on the laptop and release the monitor, then, unplug the DP cable from the laptop. Then, the monitor should go into Power Save Mode.

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

May 28th, 2012 01:00

As for the monitors behavior, if Dell designed it to stay on after the DP cable was removed from the source device (the computer), then it is a flawed design choice as the monitor should go into a 'no signal' mode for a period before going into a 'power save' mode.

If indeed the DP spec can't handle 'no signal' -> 'power save' -> 'wake up', then the spec was poorly conceived - and should be fixed. One can't blame the owner for doing what is a simple and obvious thing with a laptop connected to a monitor using a modern DP cable; that is unplugging a DP cable and closing the lid when taking their laptop to another location!

No Events found!