Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 26th, 2014 19:00

U2312HM DisplayPort does not work

I have Dell Inspiron laptop and a Dell U2312HM monitor. When I try to use the DisplayPort input to the monitor by connecting a Dell HDMI-DisplayPort adapter to it, it immediately goes into power save mode, even if the laptop is not connected. The only way I can get the monitor to come out of power save mode is to disconnect the HDMI-DisplayPort adapter. When I do that, the pop-up appears on the monitor saying it will shut down in 5 minutes unless I hook up a video source to it. But of course when I try to do that, it immediately goes into power save mode anyway. Connecting the laptop and enabling the external monitor has no effect on the monitor - it stays in power save mode. The laptop does not detect the external monitor. I have not found any way to get the monitor to exit power save mode. This looks like it is entirely a monitor problem since it goes into power save mode immediately from just plugging in the adapter. Please tell me what to do.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 27th, 2014 09:00

Regardless of which port you use on the monitor (DP, DVI, VGA), the monitor resolution will cap at 1920x1200 and there is no audio in/out on the monitor. So there is no upside to using DP on it. Does the laptop have a VGA out port to test the monitor VGA in using the Dell supplied VGA to VGA cable?

March 27th, 2014 15:00

The laptop only has HDMI output. The monitor does not have an HDMI input, so I have to convert to something the monitor supports and DisplayPort is the only digital input it has. So I figured that is the best one to use. I can use an HDMI-VGA converter but I believe that requires power and is not a dongle, yes? In any event I have spent the money on the DisplayPort adapter and is seems that it should work, but it doesn't. If it won't work please let me know so I don't waste anymore time on this and I can try to exchange the HDMI-DP adapter for a HDMI-VGA adapter.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 27th, 2014 17:00

The U2312HM has DP, DVI, and VGA, all capped at 1920x1080 60Hz.

Setup = Laptop HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> HDMI to DP adapter --> U2312HM DP in = No go

The computer HDMI cannot send a signal to a monitor DP. Computer DP can always send a signal to a monitor HDMI. That is why you see so many DP to HDMI cables. To do computer HDMI to monitor DP, you would have to invest in one of these converters.

Since all the resolutions will be at 1920x1080 and the monitor cannot receive audio:

you could use this computer HDMI to monitor VGA adapter (then to our VGA to VGA cable to the monitor VGA)

Or this computer HDMI to monitor DVI-D cable

March 27th, 2014 22:00

Well this is annoying. I explained to someone at Dell (one of the those on-line chats that pop up if you linger too long on Dell.com) what I was trying to do and that person told me to use the Dell HDMI-DP adapter. But you are saying it will not work. Is that correct?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 28th, 2014 07:00

That is correct. HDMI from a computer cannot upgrade the video signal to be seen through DP (DisplayPort) on the monitor.

Yes = Computer DP down to Monitor HDMI

No = Computer HDMI up to Monitor DP (unless you get the $121 converter)

1 Message

February 21st, 2017 09:00

So, it will work with Computer DP to Monitor DP?
* Yes.

1 Message

March 14th, 2020 08:00

Will the latest active HDMI to DP cables work?
* No.

No Events found!