Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2010 15:00

U2410 Analog pictures look bad?

I have (Rev. A01)

I have really high remarks about the quality of images produced from a PS3 via HDMI/DVI-D, no complaints there. However, when I try to use the PS3/PS2/Wii using Component/Composite; or VGA out from my laptop; the picture quality is just utter (expletive) compared to a LCD/CRT/Plasma TV; pictures are jaggy, lots of artifacts around edges, and just over not pleasant to look at.  Also when using analog inputs, how come it wont scale/center perfectly?

Is my monitor defective? Is this expected? or am I just crazy? Can people try out their PS2/Wii on an analog input and post their experiences below?

EDIT: 2.21.2010: Chatted with technical support, getting a replacement

EDIT: 9.23.2010: I solved this problem a long time ago, The replacements were all defects and i realized it was faulty by design. I don't think that this monitor is really meant for quality viewing with all types of input.  I just bought a $600 32" Flat Screen LCD TV a few months back and it is nice. Granted it doesn't look 100% like a CRT with analog inputs; the colors and sharpness are a little off, but the image quality is definitely two steps up from this monitor. (Note: In general analog sources will look better on analog screens, and likewise for digital. I couldn't really justify an extra $300-500 for a higher end LCD TV with more image processing features that supposedly make analog sources look comparable. And to think about it, I infrequently use my analog inputs anyway.)

My final thoughts on this monitor: If you use analog sources on this, you will get a headache.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2010 01:00

(PS3, Camera, White Knight Chronicles 720p; Left: HDMI/DVI-D, Right: Component Cables)

(Component cables, Left: 26" Olevia LT26HVE LCD TV, Right: Dell U2410) - Notice the "ghost" around the edge of the text on the dell

(RGB, Left: Olevia, Right: Dell), look at the yellow on "System"

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 19:00

Got a refurbished A01 replacement. Same problem. This is not normal! (it doesn't appear in my LCD TV). Help me please! Should I even try to get a replacement for my replacement?

(PS3, Camera, White Knight Chronicles 720p; Left: HDMI/DVI-D, Right: Component Cables) - Replacement monitor

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 24th, 2010 05:00

Do you really expect that component/composite/VGA should look as good as HDMI/DVI? If yes, I think you will always be disappointed.

4 Posts

February 24th, 2010 12:00

I've never made the comparison between VGA to HDMI, or composite to HDMI, because you're right  - these signals are far worse than what HDMI can output. However, component to HDMI should look almost identical at equivalent resolutions; I also used 720p, which is far within the bandwidth capabilities of component cables. This was the only case when I compared two different types of signals, the rest of the comparisons were between a 26" LCD TV and the 24" U2410. There is a video comparing a PS3 game in 720p, comparing component and HDMI video;  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/component-vs-uncharted-drakes/29839

June 20th, 2010 13:00

John- thanks for your post and for your photographs, as I've encountered the same problem on my U2410 (A01 revision). The quality of the component picture output on my screen has been shocking so far- my PlayStation 2 picture is a blurred mess of jaggies and artifacts and the PS3 picture suffers from the shadowing effect described here.

Has your problem with the component image displayed by the U2410 been resolved since your last post? If so, how?

1 Message

September 23rd, 2010 15:00

I have the exact same problem, except the ghosting on my screen is even worse, there is at least 4 different layers of ghosting, and this is on a PS3 at 1080P.

This is quite simply shocking, and no, it has nothing to do with the quality of component versus DVI/HDMI, or my cables as I've connected the PS3 to a CRT and the image is perfectly fine on that display.

Should I get a replacement?? Or is this problem inherent with all models of the monitor? The DVI input is excellent, but I was expecting more for a display of this price boasting component inputs.

Pics:

September 30th, 2010 18:00

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, especially in the absence of Dell's. It's disconcerting to find that one of the main features I bought this monitor for (the others being the IPS panel and pivot ability) is inherently faulty, especially as I'd intended to use the U2410 with my Wii and PS2 via component. Hopefully I'll be able to return the monitor for a refund from the point of sale.

No Events found!