Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

62 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

Hi Marino, what monitor did you buy at the end?

23 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hi Marino, what monitor did you buy at the end?

LG W2220P BF

same panel as 2209WA, but available and 25% less. This forum looks completly different, grey and whites all around :).

It has a fat body but less inset then U2410. It not in the same league when it comes to stand and connections, (U2410f is perfect on paper), but picture.

I thought that you can not get big IPS without tint. But yes, and coating is hard but no way as U2410f. Can not be bought around, only DE and AT and near.

cheers,

Marin

14 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 05:00

So those people who recently bought this monitor, rev 01, any obvious tinting problems?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2010 06:00

Beta Rev 3 ICM released.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2010 09:00

No. The Pink/Green Tint are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation.

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 09:00

Beta Rev 3 ICM released.

Will this fix the Green/Pink tint issue the U2410's have been experiencing?

Thanks,

Mark

43 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 10:00

This ICM looks ridiculously white to me even with my brightness/contrast being at 50. Anyone else able to try it out? Thanks.

62 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 10:00

Chris, if it is within manufacturer specifications how come Apple, which was experiencing the same problem on their LG IPS screen has apologised to customers and announced that the affected products (21" and 27" LG screens) will be exchanged with tint free screens?

15 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 12:00

I just tried it and I agree that it looks too white.

Sandy

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 13:00

No. The Pink/Green Tint are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation.

LOL..... here we go again...

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 13:00

So those people who recently bought this monitor, rev 01, any obvious tinting problems?

I had a rev 01 in Dec and it had a 3-way colour gradation... strong burned yellow to the bottom half, blue/green to the left half and pinkish to the right half..  after a nightmare few weeks of countless calls, emails with no response,  Dell 'tech' people who claimed to not know what i was talking about, being transferred over and over, back and forth between 2 or 3 departments and dealing with people who could barely speak English, I finally got most of my money back... what an ordeal that was.

56 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 14:00

[quote user="webbyboy"]

I had a rev 01 in Dec and it had a 3-way colour gradation... strong burned yellow to the bottom half, blue/green to the left half and pinkish to the right half..  after a nightmare few weeks of countless calls, emails with no response,  Dell 'tech' people who claimed to not know what i was talking about

[/quote]

Just so people know the difference - Any blue, green or red (ie pink)  shades mainly visible on white and grey backgrounds are likely to be related to the tint issue discussed here. Any yellow/brown and lighter/darker type issues are more likely to be a separate issue related to the back light on the U2410. By the sound of things your screen was more brightly lit on the top half Vs the bottom half. On top of that you had the tint issue. So if anyone notices these darker (probably yellow or brownish) areas on their screen it'd be a good idea to mention you suspect a faulty/poorly installed back light when asking for an exchange. Tint issues aside, the back light uniformity on the U2410 tends to be very good in my experience, so an exchange would almost certainly fix that particular problem at least :emotion-1:

62 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 14:00

I can confirm that just today I have seen 2 samples of this monitor both manufactured in Feb 10 and both showed strong tinting, the second unit also had yellow toward the bottom of the screen. The monitors are going back to DELL in the next few days for a re-fund.

56 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 17:00

This ICM looks ridiculously white to me even with my brightness/contrast being at 50. Anyone else able to try it out? Thanks.

I've just tried it, and my first impression is very good - It looks like they've finally got it right! I'll check some test images in the morning with it etc, but it looks good from first glance. If any of you are seeing any problems with it then post a link to specific image(s), what app(s) you're using to view it, and say what you think is wrong. Right now I'm not seeing any problems..

My first bet, for anyone who says there's a problem with this new ICM, is that they're using sRGB mode. You ARE using the screen in a fully wide gamut native mode right? That means modes like Custom Color mode or Game Mode etc. The ICM is specifically NOT designed to be used in sRGB mode (or Adobe mode for that matter). But using it in SRGB mode in particular is going to give you pale and washed out colours. That's because you're limiting the gamut of the screen already with sRGB mode, then a colour managed app repeats the process with the ICM file! The whole idea of the ICM file is to help make Adobe/sRGB mode redundant if your app is colour managed.. you don't need to think about it any more, the app does the work of selecting the right colours for you.

As an example of a scenario where this matters to people who aren't just image pro's etc.. set the U2410 to game mode, and set Firefox to use the ICM file. You'll see that Firefox no longer produces radioactive reds, meaning it's a much more usable mode for general purpose stuff like web browsing too.. :emotion-1:

43 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 19:00

My screen is in Custom mode and currently using an ICM generated by a Skyder calibration device. I managed to get decent colors with this. Gamma to MAC, Mode Selection to Graphics. The red in Saturation is a bit turned down and my Gain is a bit adjusted to match the Skyper calibration. When I switch to the new beta Dell ICM it turns the whole screen to a super-washed and white screen. Am I missing something?

No Events found!