Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2009 16:00

U2410 Green/Pink Failure Analysis

Problem: Complaints of Pink or Green Tint on U2410 display

Note: All received captures were tested and are within manufacturer specifications for Color Gradation. Because this is a normal panel characteristic and not a hardware failure, exchanges will no longer be offered for this complaint since a dispatch of another display cannot be guaranteed to resolve the complaint.

Description: The various preset modes set at the factory and available on the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu are meant to cater to a wide variety of display scenarios. Certain color gains are enhanced in specific preset modes to deliver a richer display eg for movie, gaming etc. However, it may still not be ideal under certain viewing conditions due to individual environments and preferences even though such color presets are aligned and 100% factory checked to be within specifications.

Solution:
* Press the monitor Menu button to launch the OSD Menu and display the Main Menu
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Change from Standard to Custom Color
* In Custom Color, you have the ability to adjust the color representation of the individual level of Red, Green, and Blue. The gain setting will enable the individual intensity of Red, Green and Blue primary colors to be optimized for best viewing experience and could lessen the Green/Pink Color Gradation. The default setting for customer colors are preset at 100,100,100 which represents a neutral setting
* In cases where there is a need undo any color setting changes, you may select Menu- Color Settings- Reset Color Settings to revert the color preset selection back to factory defaults

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 3rd, 2010 21:00

Panzaman,
Chris, if it is within manufacturer specifications how come Apple, which was experiencing the same problem on their LG IPS screen has apologised to customers and announced that the affected products (21" and 27" LG screens) will be exchanged with tint free screens?
* I cannot speak to the decisions made by a boutique company.

All,
Forwarded your testing results of beta3.

62 Posts

March 4th, 2010 00:00

* I cannot speak to the decisions made by a boutique company.

....yeah a boutique company that has influenced the pc industry (DELL Adamo?, Dell Inspiron Zino HD) with their design and innovation, conquered the mobile market in 3 years, a company that answers to customer complaints without pretending that problems shown by their hardware are "within specs".

A company with 40billion of dollars in the bank....uhm..makes me think that they are doing something right.

56 Posts

March 4th, 2010 05:00

My screen is in Custom mode and currently using an ICM generated by a Skyder calibration device. I managed to get decent colors with this. Gamma to MAC, Mode Selection to Graphics. The red in Saturation is a bit turned down and my Gain is a bit adjusted to match the Skyper calibration. When I switch to the new beta Dell ICM it turns the whole screen to a super-washed and white screen. Am I missing something?

2 things - Are you trying to use both profiles at once somehow? Does it produce the same result when you use ONLY the U2410 ICM?

Secondly - Have you tried using the screen in PC mode? Note that the gamma value on PC's is supposed to be 2.2, and on Mac it was 1.8 right up until the last version of OSX, where they (finally) saw sense and changed it to the default 2.2 everyone else uses. So, unless you're using an older version of OSX, there is little reason to be using the "Mac" setting on the U2410.. It will definitely make everything too bright and even more washed out.. Try using PC mode instead?..

Btw - Using Custom Mode the uncalibrated gamma of the U2410 seems to be somewhere between 2.0 and 2.1 for some reason, and the gamma seems to change to 1.8 in Standard Mode. For help getting it closer to 2.2 see Here - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php . An even better test is this one - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php. If you can clearly see the word Lagom your gamma is not 2.2.. Check the sRGB and Adobe modes on the U2410 and you'll notice the Lagom words almost disappear.. Another good one is to check the 2 squares match in this image http://www.simpelfilter.de/farbmanagement/graupunkt.html.

43 Posts

March 4th, 2010 11:00

Switching to PC mode seems to be the solution with this profile. Thanks for the help!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 5th, 2010 05:00

This ICM looks ridiculously white to me even with my brightness/contrast being at 50. Anyone else able to try it out? My screen is in Custom mode and currently using an ICM generated by a Spyder calibration device. I managed to get decent colors with this. Gamma to MAC, Mode Selection to Graphics. The red in Saturation is a bit turned down and my Gain is a bit adjusted to match the Spyder calibration. When I switch to the new beta Dell ICM it turns the whole screen to a super-washed and white screen. Am I missing something?
vgosselin
* We tried the conditions reported by vgosselin but were not able to duplicate the issue? We were testing in PC Mode.

I just tried it and I agree that it looks too white.
pionusii
* What settings are you using and what application is being used to view the picture?

I've just tried it, and my first impression is very good - It looks like they've finally got it right! I'll check some test images in the morning with it etc, but it looks good from first glance. If any of you are seeing any problems with it then post a link to specific image(s), what app(s) you're using to view it, and say what you think is wrong. Right now I'm not seeing any problems. My first bet, for anyone who says there's a problem with this new ICM, is that they're using sRGB mode. You ARE using the screen in a fully wide gamut native mode right? That means modes like Custom Color mode or Game Mode etc. The ICM is specifically NOT designed to be used in sRGB mode (or Adobe mode for that matter). But using it in SRGB mode in particular is going to give you pale and washed out colors. That's because you're limiting the gamut of the screen already with sRGB mode, then a color managed app repeats the process with the ICM file! The whole idea of the ICM file is to help make Adobe/sRGB mode redundant if your app is color managed.. you don't need to think about it any more, the app does the work of selecting the right colors for you. As an example of a scenario where this matters to people who aren't just image pro's etc. set the U2410 to game mode, and set Firefox to use the ICM file. You'll see that Firefox no longer produces radioactive reds, meaning it's a much more usable mode for general purpose stuff like web browsing too.
P.A.K
* The input from P.A.K is correct. The icm actually manages color in the NTSC 102% so it works best in the 102% CG mode. So if you are on other presets, it will not give good performance due to double conversion from the preset and then the ICM. We benchmarked the betav3 profile vs other profiles including HP dreamcolour and adobe 98% std profile before we released and it looked ok.

Some websites also claim that Dell have confirmed, if you get a graphics card capable of 10 bit colour output and use the DisplayPort input on the U2410, the U2410 is capable of supporting and rendering (via dithering) 10 bit colour values.
P.A.K
* Our understanding is that the ICM file is independent of bit depth. It contains color coordinate information and transformation rules which the application can use. Whether the profile transformation algorithm in the application and operating system can process 10bit data is unknown to us.  In any case our latest ICM file gamma will be a 1024 step curve.

20 Posts

March 9th, 2010 21:00

I will be getting one of these monitors for gaming....I will be using standard mode. Do I have a chance of getting this tint issue ?

If so what can be done about it ? can I fix it my self ?

43 Posts

March 9th, 2010 22:00

Depends of the kind of gaming I guess. If you plan to use a PS3 via HDMI, I recommend checking this thread :

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302511.asp

Still no solution to be found.

20 Posts

March 10th, 2010 07:00

It will be PC gaming...I don't like consoles. So what other monitors are out  there that are like this ??

1 Message

March 10th, 2010 12:00

After laying off PC games for years, I decided to upgrade my system with yet-another-Dell... Anyhow I've always hated TN-based LCD montors for gaming due to their poor rendition of dark/black settings (however they're just fine most office work & lab work). For that reason I recently went with the U2410, sight unseen.

And I gotta say that so far I really like it. My brightness setting is 20 and contrast at 60 and here's my test: I went to the AudiUSA website and configured an A4 with a black interior. On the A4 interior image (black leather) with my previous Samsung TN LCD all I could see was a black/grey rectangle with car windows. With the U2410 I can see all the interior detail with ease. Now perhaps I just never managed to adjust that Samsung properly but prior to that I had a ViewSonic that was even worse. Once I get back into photography perhaps my opion will change :emotion-2:

41 Posts

March 10th, 2010 16:00

I will be getting one of these monitors for gaming....I will be using standard mode. Do I have a chance of getting this tint issue ?

If so what can be done about it ? can I fix it my self ?

Lee63 - I have had a few U2410s on my desk at this point.  The three new ones I had were all tint-free.  If there was a tint issue, you would have had to look incredibly hard to find it, using background color schemes designed to highlight it.  On a plain white screen, they were all uniformly white.

I had one refurb (briefly) which had an immediately noticeable green and pink tint.  It looked hideous.  The tint appeared in all presets to some degree.  It was obviously a panel characteristic.  I returned it promptly.

The tint cannot be fixed.  If you order a new monitor from Dell, you can request a return within 21 days.  If you order now, you are very likely to receive an A01, which will have the dithering fixed.  If you are unlucky enough to get a panel that exhibits a tint (and you will know it instantly when you see it) you can return it and buy another.  You will lose shipping costs, however if you open a business account with Dell and deal directly with a rep, you may be able to negotiate this aspect.

Good luck and hope this helps.

43 Posts

March 12th, 2010 15:00

I'd say 90% based on unofficial statistics. But Dell will definitely not agree on the word "issue", it's a feature apparently.

10 Posts

March 12th, 2010 15:00

So this green tint issue is it in every new U2410 that comes from Dell or is it a hit and miss thing ?

15 Posts

March 16th, 2010 15:00

Hi Chris,

I was using the sRBG and it did look too white. I reset it all back to the factory settings then switched over to game mode and it looks fine now using the BETA 3 profile.

I definitely got lucky as I do not have the issue other people are having with their actual screens being tinted. Mine is uniform. My original issue was with the color profile in Photoshop. I was getting the error message and the color was green and pink. Your color profile seems to work for me. Some of my issue is most likely due to the fact that I'm unsure how the monitor should be set.

Sandy

10 Posts

March 24th, 2010 07:00

Hey Chris (Dell) , you know I think a lot of Photo editing users would jump on this monitor if Dell would verify that (1) it's the lastest rev A01 or whatever comes next and (2) that Dell tested for the green/tint problem first before shipping since too many people have seen this odd panle color problem and then ship out the monitor to a buyer.  Heck I would get one today if in fact this would happen and also pay a little for that custom support just to have to NOT deal with having to send a monitor back and forth waiting to get a good one that does not have this green/tint problem.  And I calibrate all my monitors using xrite's  i one Display2  or ColorMunki.    Email me if this can happen.

62 Posts

March 24th, 2010 08:00

ah ah ah ah ah DELL would NEVER do something like that for a customer, verify that the monitor doesn't have Green-tint???? WHAT GREEN TINT?? the green Tint for DELL does not exist, is a normal panel characteristic.

Any monitor bought straight from DELL will be Rev01, but listen to me mate, I have gone through 6 of them, and they all had the green-to-pink tint. Just stay away from this product get a NEC or the new HP (IPS) the ZR24W, they look much more promising plus HP and NEC would exchange monitors based on the green-tint not like DELL that has chosen to ignore the issue and refuse exchanges based on it. 

No Events found!