This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 3rd, 2011 00:00

U2410 & Thunderbolt Issues

Hi,

15" MacBook Pro, Early 2011

Lion 10.7.2

Dell U2410 REV 5

I've owned the U2410 for about 2 weeks now and I still can not figure out what is up with connection issues to the MacBook Pro.

Apple's official Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter & Dell's included DVI cable:

- The monitor never enters Power Saver mode. Instead, the picture disappears but the backlight remains on

- The monitor successfully displays in RGB mode

Mini DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable:

- The monitor believes the signal is an HDTV and refuses to be set to RGB mode. It will only display in YPbPr

- The monitor, however, successfully enters Power Saver mode

I've tried shutting off the "Put hard disks to sleep" option; I've tried disabling "Automatic graphics switching"...Nothing seems to work.

I believe the problem has to do with the Thunderbolt/DisplayPort. I do not have these issues on my older white MacBook using a MiniDVI-to-DVI adapter.

Is Dell aware of these issues? Working on them? This is a common problem for most users with a Thunderbolt port and attempting to use the U2410. But there remains a lot of confusion as to what the problem is and whether or not steps are being taken to alleviate it?

Thank you,

-Yah

3 Posts

November 5th, 2012 15:00

Hi! Did you solve the problem? I have prolem with fussy monitor when connected from minidisplay port to dvi. I have a MBP 15 (late 2011). Before I had a MBP 15 (late 2007) and had no problem with connecting to dell u2410. How is it possible?

3 Posts

November 5th, 2012 17:00

Hi! I have the same problem. Any answer from dell or apple yet?

November 6th, 2012 13:00

Myself have this problem. The Dell Monitor was seen as a TV by the Computer when using a direct MiniDP tp HDMI cable. As suggested in other forum I tried using an adapter (no direct cable) miniDP to DVI and then a Dvi to DVI cable and the setup is working fine. It's an easy solution (30€). Why it's not working and why previous Macs worked fine I can't say.

1 Message

November 25th, 2012 19:00

I just want to add to this discussion:

I own a 2011 Macbook Air and a Dell U2410 monitor which is about two years old.  When I tried to connect these for the first time last week using a mini-Displayport to Displayport cable last week, I got fuzzy letters that I couldn't correct (I tried a whole bunch of setting changes on the monitor and with calibration settings on the MBA, after scouring the web).  I then switched to a mini-Displayport to DVI adapter (Rocketfish), and it worked fine.  

Interestingly, I just bought a new Dell U2412M monitor for my office.  I just hooked up the same 2011 MBA to this new Dell U2412M monitor using the same mini-Displayport to Displayport cable and....voila!  it works perfectly, sharp picture, no apparent compatibility issues (I haven't tried sleep yet, but it seems to be working just fine at this point).

So, at this point, I think it seems likely to me that the "older" U2410 monitor must have something about its display port implementation that is different than what Dell is using on the later U2412M monitor.  I do not yet know if there is some kind of firmware update to be installed on the U2410, but I'll look for that now.  

Hope this helps someone else that is having the same issue as I (and we) have been having with a MBA and the U2410.

January 17th, 2014 12:00

Hello Skylarking.  Great posts.  While I am not at the technical level to fully understand the problem, you have convinced me that Apple needs to address the problem.  Discussions on Apple forums include a Script created by Andreas Schwartz that forces RGB.  That patch has provided a work around solution for a whole lot of folks like me who had been baffled by the problem for a very long time.  So if Mr. Schwartz  is able to do this with a Patch, why can't Apple create an update to OS X to do the same thing?

No Events found!