Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2012 10:00

U2412M Issue: DisplayPort: entering power save mode

Hi

I have a new U2412M connected via a DP->miniDP cable to a 2011 Macbook Air. All is functioning correctly until I either

a). Change the input source to, for example, VGA and change back to DisplayPort

or

b). Switch off the monitor while the Macbook is still awake and switch it back on.

In these two scenarios the monitor will display the "entering power save mode" message and won't kick back into life even though it acknowledges that the Macbook is connected.

Interestingly if I let the Macbook sleep and then reawaken it then the monitor springs back into life and all is fine.

The second scenario isn't really an issue but Scenario 1 definitely is. I have multiple machines connected to the monitor and want to be able to switch between them at will.

Is this a known problem and if so is there a solution?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 15th, 2012 10:00

I wish I could help but we only validate the standard Mini-DP to DP adapter on Windows PCs. We do not test the apple mini-DP to DVI adapter nor do we test Dell monitors with apple platforms. We do not have any apple product in our labs. You should check the apple Discussions Forum for help from other apple users with our products.
https://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Do you have some Windows systems to test on the U2412M via VGA and DVI to test the Input Source Select switching?

4 Posts

August 29th, 2012 06:00

Chris:

I have a one week old xps 8500 with an amd radeon 7870 card and a u2412m monitor. The monitor came with a mini to dp adapter and I bought the male to male dp cable from dell. when I hook up the dp cable the monitor immediately goes into power save mode and I never get any signal from the dp cable and no picture. I've tried all the fixes you have suggested in other threads but nothing works. I hate to call support in India because they will keep me on the phone for over an hour while they look the problem up in a book or whatever they are doing while they put you on hold indefinitely. I'm further ahead trying to solve this myself. I'm also getting many error messages from the machine and the pc checkup doesn't funtion nor does the online version. Both give me different error messages.

4 Posts

September 1st, 2012 22:00

I'm also seeing this problem.

I have a new U2412M with a DP/DP video cable connected to a EVGA 680 FTW card which also has 2x2407WFP's connected via DVI.  The video card is set to display at 60Hz for all displays.  All displays are 1920x1200 with 32bit color.  2407WFP#1 is Portrait, 2407WFP#2 is Landscape, U2412M is Landscape. Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1 / NVIDIA driver 301.42.  All power to both displays is run through a larger APC UPS so it should be clean.

The U2412M will come on for a second or two and then go into sleep mode.  If I hit the power button it goes on and then off to sleep again.  I switched the U2412M from AUTO to Display Port and it still had the same behavior.

I unplugged the power from the back of the U2412M and waited a few seconds and plugged it back in then hit the power button while my workstation was still functioning and it started displaying again (so it's not the video card since it was still broadcasting video apparently).  It may have corrected the problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

The all seems to have started after I had placed my workstation into sleep mode.  Perhaps a "go to sleep" flag not getting cleared in the U2412M firmware in the display port code?

I've been using this new screen for 2 days now and have only noticed this happening today.

4 Posts

September 5th, 2012 12:00

More observations.

When the U2412M is connected to the DP port and goes into sleep mode it doesn't want to come back.  The other two screens wake up but the U2412M stays asleep.  If I leave it alone and continue to work via one of the other two 2407WFPs it will eventually wake back up.  Usually it will take about 5 minutes to start to wake up at which time it will turn on and display for ~2 seconds then turn off, then on again, then off.  If I move something onto that screen while it's sputtering it will wake up and stay on until it goes into sleep mode again.

Once the U2412M is awake and working properly if I don't do anything on that display for some period of time (over 2 minutes, not sure how long) the screen will go black - the other two 2407WFPs are still awake though.

I've tried the latest beta drivers from NVIDA with no improvement and reverted back to the older stable 301.42.

This points to the power management features of the U2412M having a problem in relation to the DisplayPort feed. 

Please advise...Any firmware update coming for the U2412M?

4 Posts

September 5th, 2012 22:00

Further confirmation that it is a U2412M DisplayPort issue.  I went out and bought an Accell UltraAV Active DIsplay Port to DVI-D adapter for $30 at a local store.  I now have all 3 displays connected to the same card with the same driver version and the only change is I have the DisplayPort feed converted to DVI-D going to the U2412M and it is working perfectly.  

I did swap out the cable too, so it IS possible the DP cable I was using had a problem but I suspect not since others are complaining of the same display issue on the display port.

Solution: Active DP->DVI-D adapter and use the U2412M's DVI-D until Dell gets a fix.  (Note: Make sure the adapter is Active or it probably won't work)

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 6th, 2012 07:00

Yes. We are scanning the call logs for the issue. Not much being reported. Did you try this?

Open the monitor OSD menu, go to Audio Settings. Set Power Save Audio to OFF. Retest.

If the monitor still goes into Power Save Mode, open the monitor OSD menu, go to Other Settings. Set DDC/DI to Disable. Retest.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2012 10:00

Tried that, also disabled Energy Smart (set to Off).  Also tried force Input Source to DisplayPort rather than Auto.

One thing to note is that on setting Input Source to DisplayPort, on occasion this setting got reset to Auto.  That seemed to correlate with unplugging the screen.

Another Note: I did NOT install the power utility from the CD - so no additional sources of interference.

Using the DP->DVI-D adapter it is still working 100%.  No more flicker/sputtering, no more power save issues.

If I hadn't seen other people talking about this same type of power issue and describing exactly what I saw I'd conclude bad DP port on the display or bad DP cable.  Perhaps it's a DP protocol issue...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 8th, 2012 04:00

I think you all should get replacement monitors out to test. Since you only have a Dell order number for your monitor, you should contact Order Support for your country. Provide to them the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Monitor Order number:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number:
Reason:

1 Message

November 20th, 2012 15:00

I'm having similar problem. New Belkin male displayport to displayport cable connecting new HPE h8-1330z to new Dell U2312HM. Tried the audio power save and DDC/CI steps you recommended. Still goes into power save and won't come back. Is there a fix, or do I need to return the monitor?

4 Posts

November 20th, 2012 18:00

There is no fix. I tried all the fixes on the internet and none of them worked. The problem is not the monitor because it works fine with displayport on the new Dell they sent me. The Nvidia card that the new computer has does not use the mini adapter. Either the problem was with the video card or in the dp to mini adapter. Dell had no solution for the problem so they replaced the complete computer but not the monitor.

Good Luck.

Phil

2 Posts

November 21st, 2012 16:00

My brand new (as of this week) U2412M is doing the same thing . . . connected to my brand new (as of this week) XPS 8500 . . . NOT happy to find this is a known and on-going issue . . . what do you suggest, Chris?

16 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 11:00

It's obviously not the same issue but I'm experiencing a Displayport issue with my U3011 whereby it's somehow messing up the Infrared receiver on my Mac! For a £1000 monitor I expect everything to work as it should. Here's my message: en.community.dell.com/.../20235317.aspx

1 Message

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi,

I have a u2412m monitor with the same problem, i connect it to my x220 lenovo thinkpad through the displayport to displayport and it wont work. the computer recognizes the connection but the monitor doesn't recognize the signal and enters power save mode (I put the input source on display port of course). When connecting with the VGA cable all is good. I understand that this is a known problem. is there a solution?

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2013 21:00

This is extremely frustrating. So much for the hopes of Displayport working as an alternate. I hope Dell looks into this more. Sad to spend over $600 for this LCD setup and not have all the options I thought I was buying.

My setup:

Lenovo W510 with two Dell U2412M connected with DVI. I wanted to connect one of the monitors with Displayport, thus freeing up a DVI to use with a HDMI to DVI cable that is connected to a PS3.

I'll be sure to notify those buyers on Amazon of this defect. At least they will go into a purchase with all the facts.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2013 02:00

I'm living in Beijing and was already happy that I was able to buy this monitor in China. But.. I've similar issue.

My setting:

Laptop Lenovo U450p with Win7-64bit, ATI Radeon HD 4300 (catalyst 13.1), with VGA and HDMI port.

Monitor U2412Mb, manufactured November 2012.

Monitor was delivered with VGA cable and works well, today bought HDMI-DisplayPort and also goes to 'power save mode'. Have tried all proposed solutions and no result.

Have send a request for replacement to Order Support from China, but this will work? Can they speak English? Since you are the great master of internet, maybe you can help.

Bye

No Events found!