Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Re: u2413 Is there any way to turn off RTC?

OK, I got mine today -- it's Rev A01, and unlike the inverse ghosting on my S2740L (the text when scrolling on a web page becomes "crinkly", the text and all images have this bluish/cyan tint to them above/below -- e.g., when you scroll down, there is this bluish/cyan tint underneath the text/image -- scroll-up, there is bluish/cyan tint above.

Another really annoying thing about this monitor is when watching video, the entire screen shifts brightness/contrast (or color temp, can't really tell) from my setting to a darker setting.

Thanks.

So, is there a scrolling text in browser problem or not? I've seen screen shots of this on a u2413 and it wasn't pretty.

Movie Playback problem is cured by now?

How is gaming?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
adobepro
1 Nickel

Sure, you're welcome.

Yes, there is a scrolling text problem (see below)

Courtesy of nokey, it's exactly the same with webpages on mine: http://www.abload.de/img/dell-motionzxuzr.jpg

From the following Thread:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19495675/20317643.aspx#20317643

Movie Playback, seems ok on the few movies I played back (from my A57 camera, to 720P/1080P movies.)

Gaming: Haven't tried yet, but skyrim was bad on the S2740L -- I'll be testing with Skyrim tomorrow and will update this thread.

Overall: I'm really not a fan of the OSD hover menu -- I still prefer buttons. The stand is not as good as the U2410, but adequate. The monitor itself is nicel designed.

Notes: I wish the people calibrating the monitor would take more care with the panel. I found two scuff marks on the screen -- not sure if they are fingerprints or damage to the AG coating when being handled -- I'll use a microfiber cloth and some distilled water and wipe to determine if its damage or just fingerprint oil.

I really want this monitor, I don't care for Hitachi's IPS or Samsung's PLS over one another -- they both work very well, it's just the implementation done by LG that's pissing me off. Life is apparently not Good with these new models. If they could simply fix that, I'd keep it and would consider buying another. However, beyond the inverse ghosting issue (which is a pretty big issue you browse the web and need to scroll,) there are issues mentioned by others (search hard fourms) about color profiling not working in certain modes / the way it's expected....that's a whole other realm to consider that I'm not considering at this point, so please keep that in mind if you interested in using this monitor for serious color work. I want this monitor for all around use (Software Development (24"/1920x1200/16x10 aspect ration,) Movies, Games and Photos, with true 8 bit processing.

This final note is directed to Tesla1856 -- may I suggest that while the free shipping both ways offer is still available, get the monitor and try it for yourself, you ultimately have to be happy with the unit. For me, I mixed about it -- certain things I love and want, and certain things I don't. The only hassle you'll have by doing that is the repackaging of the unit and having someone available at home when UPS comes to pick it up.

Something tells me the next model will probably resolve this. Unfortunately, it's either wait for a new model, buy and deal with this, or go with a different brand. I was seriously considering the Samsung S27A850T (the T is the 27" with 8 bit processing (8 bit is rumor -- can't confirm based on any literature from Samsung), the S24A850D  model is 24" with 6bit FRA) but the 24" is still 6bit and the 8 bit version is too expensive and it has issues of it's own with backlight bleeding.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Yes, there is a scrolling text problem (see below)

... it's exactly the same with webpages on mine: http://www.abload.de/img/dell-motionzxuzr.jpg

AdobePro,

This poor RTC automatically excludes this monitor from my consideration. I wouldn't accept this on a $100 monitor, much less a $500 monitor.

Looks like we have the same requirements (really, nothing special):

Software development (desktop and cloud/Internet), movie editing and playback, CAD/CG animation, game development and testing.
24", IPS, 16:10 aspect, 1920x1200, 8ms or better, Fully Articulate stand or VESA pattern

In this day-and-age, I shouldn't even have to say this ... but I can't use monitors with poor RTC, over-shoot, ghosting, text scrolling problems, or poor color.  emoticon.TongueTied.title

I had really hoped you had better news for us, but I really appreciate you taking the time to write up the review.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
adobepro
1 Nickel

Sure -- you're welcome, and completely agree that our uses for this monitor are nothing special, and I feel like monitors are not progressing, but regressing. I bought my 2405WFP about 6 years ago, and I'm still impressed with the quality of that unit. I hope I had better news too, but sorry, maybe in Rev A1x it'll be fixed -- but who knows when and if that'll ever happen.

As an FYI: Ghosting is undetectable when brightness set to 100% and Contrast 38% However, the screen is a bit too dark for my taste and use. Anything above 38% while at 100% brightness, the ghosting re-appears. Such a shame, this monitor had such high potential and a decent price (when on sale.) I'm not even going to bother testing games at this point, as one of the fundamental uses for this monitor happens to be scrolling action (netbeans / dreamweaver / vs 2012 / sql server management studio / textpad / etc...) and of course, web browsing, which it fails at -- so it's being returned.

Anyways, good luck to everyone in finding a monitor that works for everyone. If I find one myself, I'll make a post reply here.

0 Kudos
adobepro
1 Nickel

Just one last note -- very bad backlight bleeding on the bottom left and right corners....Again, my 2405FPW, no backlighting problem at all. The S2740L, slight backlight bleeding to the bottom left.

0 Kudos
adobepro
1 Nickel

And now pink tint on the bottom right corner and top left corner which I never noticed until I set the background to white....

0 Kudos
Patibulo
1 Copper

I'm wiping my tears. Just bought U3014, thinking on a good monitor for all purposes. A GOOD one. A DELL. A $1,249.99 monitor. But I'm a gamer. And I 'm quite sure that was my fault. Impulse purchase. *Sigh. Fingers crossed. At least DELL couLd give consumers a software key to enable/disable RTC...

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

I'm wiping my tears. Just bought U3014, thinking on a good monitor for all purposes. A GOOD one. A DELL. A $1,249.99 monitor. But I'm a gamer. And I 'm quite sure that was my fault. Impulse purchase. *Sigh. Fingers crossed. At least DELL couLd give consumers a software key to enable/disable RTC...

After you get it, we will all be interested to hear your report.

0 Kudos
Winstar78
1 Nickel

Another feedback from Italy.

Bought an U2413 from online site (so I dunno how to send back to dell, but this is another story)

Rev. A00

RTC problem: present and strong, even scrolling on this page is ugly with green artifacts.

Color uniformity: bad, very bad: in the bottom left I have 2 greenish areas confirmed by the calibration report, that is the zone with the greatest delta.

backlight bleeding: i come from a nothing special Acer al2423w MVA and when I have seen  the black of this monitor i thought "omg", the black is really grey in the corners, because you see the corners under a certain angle assuming your head in on the center, so there is a huge glow (actually, is more ips glow than real backlight bleeding)

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for the "best monitor dell can do"

i'll try to sell it on ebay... but i really don't know what to buy.

0 Kudos
Patibulo
1 Copper

[quote user="Patibulo"]

After you get it, we will all be interested to hear your report.

[/quote]

Sure, mine should arrive on june 15. Mixed feelings. My most reliable source is the review made by TFT Central (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3014.htm) .

0 Kudos