Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2014 08:00

U2414H DisplayPort 1.2 MST Set Up - Monitors will not Obtain Video Signal from Graphics Card upon Startup or Reboot

* What specific Dell monitor? Two (2) U2414h Monitors with MD214 Stand - Multi-Monitor Package
* What specific computer model, desktop/laptop? HP xw8400 Workstation, Intel Quad Core Xeon CPU E 5335 @ 2.00 GHz, 4.00 GB Memory
* What operating system? Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
* What video card? AMD FirePro V3900
* What video out ports are available on the video card? DisplayPort 1.2 MST, Dual-link DVI
* What video out port are you using from the video card to what video in port on the monitor? DisplayPort Out to Mini Display Port In
* What cable are you using to attach the video card to the monitor? DisplayPort to MiniDispayPort - one came with each Dell monitor
* Are you using the Dell supplied cable? Yes - both monitors

* Press the monitor Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display). The bottom of that screen should show a resolution. That resolution should match the monitor default resolution. Both monitors: 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

* Full description of the monitor issue? Monitors were set up following instructions on page 25 of online Dell manual for connecting the monitor for DP Multi-Stream (MST) function. Supplied DisplayPort cable is connected to V3900 graphics card DisplayPort Out to MiniDisplay Port In on 1st U2414H; second supplied DisplayPort cable is connected to DisplayPort Out on 1st U2414H Monitor and to MiniDisplayPort In on 2nd U2414H Monitor. Dell U2414H Drivers were installed from included CD and both recognized by Windows. V3900 Graphics Card Driver is up to date with EyeInfinity Software. Input source on both Monitors set to Mini Display Port. Display Settings on both monitors set to Display Port 1.2 enable. Screen Resolution on Windows 7 shows: (a) two separate Dell U2414H (mini Display Port) Monitors, with each resolution 1920 x 1080, (b) multi displays set to "Extend These Displays". Both Displays are working with the foregoing setup and recognized by the Graphics Card.

Problem 1 - All the time - Monitor power buttons are turned on, computer is then turned on, monitors do not turn on - they show "Power saving mode" and then go dark. Must hit power button on computer to shut down Windows. Only way to get these monitors turned on is to disconnect the Power Cords from the back of each monitor, wait a few minutes, reconnect the power cords, boot up computer and then both monitors will turn on and windows sign on screen will appear and monitors will work. Normal operations for entire day of work if you don't reboot. If you have to reboot during the day (like when you get a software update), the same thing happens. The computer starts to reboot but the monitors will not come back on and remain dark. There is nothing wrong with the V3900 Graphics card. It is Certified by AMD and DisplayPort.org to work in a MST DisplayPort 1.2 environment. I had previously two Samsung SyncMasters 215tws connected to each one of the outputs of the V3900 Grahics Card and they work fine in extended mode for years until one SyncMaster 215tw started Flickering like crazy. One SyncMaster was connected to the Display Port out with a dongle and a DVI cable. The other SyncMaster was connected with the DVI output on the graphics card. Then I decided to buy these two U2414Hs. Technical Support at Dell after many phone calls and e-mails has finally informed me that there is a "compatibility" problem between my computer and the U2414Hs and recommended I return the monitors. On AMD's web site the U2414H has not been certified by AMD to work in a DisplayPort 1.2 MST Set Up. Other older Dell monitors are certified by AMD to work in the Display Port 1.2 setup. DisplayPort.org does list the U2414H to work with Display Port (it does not state it will work in a DisplayPort 1.2 Set Up).

Problem 2 - noticeable lag in input from Microsoft Blue Tooth Keyboard and Mouse and also from connected PS2 Keyboard and Mouse. All drivers are up to date. When you type a sentence it takes a few moments for the text to appear on the screen using either keyboard. Both the connected mouse and the Bluetooth mouse will not respond on a sporadic basis for a few moments until they finally respond. It consistently happens during the day. The monitors provide excellent clarity when working. The stand is great for the desk real estate. Before these monitors are returned does anyone know what is causing these two problems and does anyone have a fix? Should I just stop using Display Port 1.2 and hook them up using HDMI with active dongles? If I have to return these two U2414Hs, I was considering two (2) U2413s. Anyone have any opinions on the latest U2413s coming out of Dell? I read some real problems with ghosting that I just don't have the time anymore to deal. Has the ghosting been fixed in the U2413 models sold in 2014? There are very few monitors on the market that have Display Port In and Out on the back to support DisplayPort 1.2 MST Transport.

Thank you for any input.

6 Posts

September 16th, 2015 15:00

I had to remove my VGA HDMI DV card and now  the DP (display port) works fine. Don't need to use a HDMI cable. Display Port 1.1 is reported to be the problem so removing the card fixes that issue.

1 Message

March 29th, 2014 12:00

I just fixed min just a minute a go. I installed the Catalyst 14.2 Beta and it fixed everything. 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

1 Message

June 6th, 2014 09:00

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Funnily enough I have 2 machines which are the same, both with an NVIDIA Quadro K600 graphics card. Both machines have Dell U2414H monitors. My colleagues machine has a secondary monitor connected vis VGA, while I have 2 Dell U2414H monitors daisy chained via Display port 1.2.

Every time I log off the computer, the monitors go into sleep mode and don't come on again when I re-start. When I disconnect the DVI cable and re-connect it, they come on again! This is very frustrating, and seems to be a common problem from what I've read. Is there a solution to this? I guess there should be a driver that needs updating!

Thanks

2 Posts

June 6th, 2014 09:00

Hi, after extensive discussions with AMD and Dell technical support, I finally determined that the 2 Dell U2414H REV A00 monitors would not operate correctly in a Display Port 1.2 Daisy Chain environment. I finally connected each monitor separately using the Dell supplied Mini Display Port cables to the two separate Display Port Out Ports on my AMD graphics card V4900 and the monitors worked fine using extend display in Windows 7. I know that Dell has released a revised Dell U2414H REV A01 manufactured in April of 2014. I received these two new monitors per my request in replacement of the REV AOO manufactured in December of 2013. I have not been able to test the new REV A01 as to whether the Daisy Chain issue has been resolved using Display Port 1.2. What I can tell you is that AMD does not have the Dell U2414H on its approved list of monitors that will work in the Daisy Chain Display Port 1.2 mode, but that older Dell monitors with Display Port 1.2 were approved by AMD to work in this environment. From my research, Display Port connections are the wave of the future if you are going to use monitors with resolutions higher than 1080p. Good luck !
No Events found!