Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

4 Posts

May 14th, 2018 14:00

U2414H, HDMI to DVB-C decoder, TV

I would also like to use the U2414H (rev A03) as a TV display connected through HDMI to DVB-C decoder (HDTV 1080p signal). Will the monitor detect HDTV signal and automatically switch to expect TV limited levels (range 16-235) or being a PC monitor it is always expecting PC full levels (range 0-255)?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 15th, 2018 05:00

All of our monitor testing is done on Dell PCs, not a DVB-C box.

On a PC, the U2414H Menu Color Settings would be = RGB, PC, Standard
You could also test YPbPr, PC, Standard

Then, using AMD or Nvidia, you would go into their Control Panels and force Full. Not sure how the U2414H will respond to the DVB-C box. You will simply need to test it and post the results. For my notes, send me via Private Message the U2414H service tag number.

4 Posts

May 20th, 2018 14:00

Thank you for your response.

When I connect U2414H to PC via HDMI, graphic drivers default settings are limited range - colours and especially black are washed out, which is visible in comparison to correct setting full range. So definitely monitor is expecting full range and doesn't change this just from being connected by HDMI.

But I was wondering if there is something specific in HDTV broadcast from DVB-C (which I guess is always limited 16-235 range) that can tell to the monitor that it should switch to limited levels. Black from HDTV signal looks sometimes "not black enough" for me but I'm not sure without comparison.

Do you have any idea how to properly test it without any special device? Of course there is no limited/full switch in the DVB-C box and I don't have separate TV display to visually compare colors and black.

Not sure where service tag number is.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 21st, 2018 06:00

When I connect U2414H to PC via HDMI, graphic drivers default settings are limited range - colours and especially black are washed out, which is visible in comparison to correct setting full range. So definitely monitor is expecting full range and doesn't change this just from being connected by HDMI.
* You would enter the PC graphic driver control panel and change the Color output dynamic range to Full.

But I was wondering if there is something specific in HDTV broadcast from DVB-C.
* Unknown. We did not test in this scenario.

4 Posts

October 21st, 2019 14:00

Finally I was able to do some testing by myself (as you suggested).

On a PC with "full range" setting in Intel graphics driver I did find a video material on YouTube (The Simpsons ending credits) that contains pure black (verified visually with black level Lagom LCD test – http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php#blacktest.png). Then on another U2414H monitor – connected through HDMI to DVB-C decoder – I watched the same material from HDTV.

My conclusion is that black level from HDTV is correct (however I don't have those monitors side by side to easily visually compare).

So it looks like U2414H connected to GPU is always expecting PC full levels (range 0-255). "Limited range" setting in Intel graphics driver causes incorrect (washed out) colours – U2414H doesn't switch itself to expect TV limited levels (range 16-235). However when U2414H is connected to DVB-C decoder and receives HDTV broadcast signal it does switch itself to expect TV limited levels (my cable TV provider confirmed to me that their signal through HDMI is 16-235 range).

Question remains what exactly triggers U2414H to expect TV limited levels – is there some kind of HDTV flag in the cable TV signal or maybe every HDCP-encrypted signal triggers this behavior (HDCP is used for Blu-ray and HDTV, my cable TV provider also confirmed using it)?

In any case such thing as monitor compatibility with HDTV broadcast or for example standalone Blu-ray player should be clearly described in the manual and full/limited range information and setting should be available in monitor's OSD. U2414H manual only says it can be connected to PC, MHL device or DVD player but does not provide any information about full/limited range in any scenario.

No Events found!