Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2016 07:00

U2415, 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, TB3 (Thunderbolt 3) issues

Hello, 

The 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar does not connect to a Dell monitor U2415. I purchased the Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C in order to connect both devices. 

It used to work on my Retina MacBook Pro (late 2012).

Whenever I connect this MacBook the Dell monitor says it's going to enter Power Save mode, as if it didn't detect the Mac. 

Does anybody know what I can do? Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 6th, 2016 11:00

As you can see in the image below taken directly from the Dell monitor driver page, the Apple proprietary operating system and hardware are not tested by Dell on this monitor. So this will be best guess support. You should also post on the Apple Discussions Forum and see if they can offer some insight or troubleshooting steps.

I have no idea what this means as to the video in ports on the U2415?
"I purchased the Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C in order to connect both devices."

The TB (thunderbolt) 3/USB 3.1 Type C is backward compatible to DP and mDP and should use the DP and mDP cabling.

Test 1 =
MacBook Pro TB3 out port --> U2415 mDP to DP cable --> U2415 DP in
Sorry. Unlike the TB2 port, the TB3 port does not use the standard mDP cable. So you have to buy the new TB3 to DP adapter.

Test 2 =
MacBook Pro TB3 out port --> TB3 to DP adapter --> DP to DP cable --> U2415 DP in

4 Posts

December 6th, 2016 16:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the answer! I wasn't clear. I was trying with the following system:

MacBook Pro TB3 out port --> TB3 to mDP adapter --> mDP to DP cable --> U2415 DP in

And it didn't work.

I'm going to try test 2. I'm not sure how test 1 should work since there is no TB3 to mDP adapter in the equation.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 7th, 2016 08:00

Wait, are you saying that the provided U2415 mDP to DP cable mDP end does not fit into the TB3 port? They are supposed to be backward compatible to standard mDP cables?

4 Posts

December 7th, 2016 10:00

Yes, that is what I am saying. In Apple-world, the mDP end is the same as Thunderbolt 2. And Thunderbolt 3 end looks like USB-C. Therefore, the mDP end does not fit in the TB3 port.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 7th, 2016 12:00

Apple makes it difficult...

4 Posts

December 8th, 2016 05:00

They sure do!

But I can say that this configuration seems to work thus far:

MacBook Pro TB3 out port --> TB3 to DP adapter --> DP to DP cable --> U2415 DP in

So all good! Thanks for your time Chris.

No Events found!