Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2020 13:00

U2415, dual, WD15 dock, DP works, HDMI doesn't

Hi,

I've been looking the Community Monitors channel but none seem to reflect my configuration and problem. Please assist in investigating my problem with information below. Appreciate any help as important for me to use dual monitor especially working from home. 

Gears:
Dell XPS 13 (9350) 16GB RAM 500GB SSD service tag
Dell WD15 dock
2x U2415 monitor service tag
Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 OS Build 19041.329
Intel Iris Graphics 540

Configurations:
1x U2415 --> DP port on monitor --> mDP port on WD15
1x U2415 --> HDMI (MHL) port on monitor --> HDMI port on WD15 + USB Upstream connected
WD15 --> USB-C --> Dell XPS 13

Results:
Both monitors detected in Windows Display Settings with 1920x1200 resolution 60Hz
Both monitors detected in Intel Graphics Settings both with 1920x1200 resolution 60Hz
Both monitors detected in Windows Device Manager
Display Adapter is Intel Iris Graphics 540 (latest from Dell SupportAssist)

Problems:
The monitor connected with HDMI is not displaying graphics but detected by Windows. I can move/drag app windows to the monitor. The monitor displaying message "There is no signal coming from your computer. Press any key..."

Thanks in advance for your help.

Image 20200628 041006 2 - Intel Iris Graphics Control Panel DP Topology.pngImage 20200628 041006 2 - Intel Iris Graphics Control Panel.pngImage 20200628 040909 1 - Device Manager.png

• 

25.1K Posts

June 28th, 2020 05:00

Hello,

I hope you are doing well. I'm following up to address the HDMI issue you are facing. Please install the following updated for your computer, Docking station and the monitor from the links below.

Computer: https://dell.to/2VqI2u0

Click on "Detect Driver" to detect and install available driver updates.

Docking Station: Firmware: https://dell.to/2Zk1z0e
Audio USB Driver: https://dell.to/31q1dbq
Ethernet driver: https://dell.to/31nbl4r

Dell U2415 24" Monitor with LED Driver : https://dell.to/2B8koMc
Dell Display Manager Application: https://dell.to/3g8IXqO

After the updates, please follow the manual shared earlier for monitor. Change the input source to HDMI and check if it is detected or not.

- Jasbir

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

25.1K Posts

We have sent you a message in Private. Please check and share the information requested. 

Replied with information required.

The HDMI cable that I use works fine by trying to connect directly from the U2415 to other laptop. 

Additional info. I've tried the advice from DELL-ChrisM by turning laptop and monitor off, unplug all the cables, turning them on again and plug the cables, didn't work. I've also tried to test the monitor using DP-mDP individually and they're both working, nothing wrong/defect with both monitors. The problem is only the one that connected with HDMI cable, detected but no visual.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 27th, 2020 16:00

@radenferdy  Building on my reply above, technically your setup SHOULD work too.  The only thing I can think of for why your display would be detected by Windows and even usable in the sense of app windows being draggable onto it without the display lighting up would be if that display was set set to the wrong input.  Did you check that?  If so, maybe try resetting that display to factory defaults?  That seems to clear up strange display issues sometimes.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 27th, 2020 16:00

@radenferdy  My wife has this exact hardware (XPS 13 9350, WD15, and 2x U2415s).  For her I daisy chained the U2415s together in order to have a single video cable connection to the dock and it worked fine.  You have to use DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort along the entire chain though, and make sure you use the DisplayPort output on Display #1 to feed the DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort input on Display #2.  Then you just have to enable DP 1.2/MST in the settings of Display #1. After that no further configuration was required on the system.

June 27th, 2020 20:00

Hey, thanks for your response. 

Yes I forgot to mention that I also have it tested using daisy chain setup on How to Configure U2415 Monitor Daisy Chaining on Intel HD Graphics, but unfortunately it resulting the same symptoms. 

I've also have set the source to HDMI (MHL) 1, instead of DP, mDP, or HDMI (MHL)2. 

At this point how to perform factory reset to the monitor, because there's no such menu like when I successfully connect to laptop. Instead, whenever I press any menu buttons it only displays source selection.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 27th, 2020 21:00

Please refer to the online U2415 User's Guide to access the OSD menu.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 27th, 2020 21:00

@radenferdy  You might need to actually have the display showing an image rather than a "No signal" animation in order to access the full menu.  Can you try temporarily connecting your problematic display via the mDP output on the dock to see if it displays an image?  If so, try getting into the menu and performing a factory reset that way.

June 27th, 2020 22:00

Hey jphughan,

Yup, I temporarily connected it to mDP and able to access the menu and perform factory reset. But problem persist. 

However, I tried again the daisy-chain method and both monitors display visual!

I believe the contributing factor to the solution of dual U2415 is ensure factory reset to the new monitor and daisy-chain both with DP-mDP cable (NOT HDMI). 

New Configurations:
1x U2145 (with DP1.2 disabled/terminal monitor) --> mDP out --> DP in --> another 1x U2145 (DP1.2 enabled) --> miniDP to WD15 --> USB-C --> Dell XPS13

Thanks for your help!

But still curious as to why HDMI to WD15 doesn't work. Waiting for official answer from Dell support.

June 27th, 2020 22:00

Hi Dell-Cares,

That method in user manual only applies to monitor that successfully connect to a source (signal detected and visual is showing). 

I'm not sure if you're missed my explanation or otherwise I explained it poorly here. 

Bottom line is, that doesn't help.

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 29th, 2020 10:00

@radenferdy  Glad you're sorted out, although I'm not sure why HDMI wouldn't work, and I don't think my wife would much appreciate me mucking around with her home office docking station setup given that it works at the moment and she needs it!

Just as a side note though, when describing a cabling strategy for displays via text, it makes a lot more sense to start with the system and work outward, since the system is the source of the video signal being transmitted outward, rather than starting at the end of the chain and working your way to the system.  You also mixed up the mDP out and DP in.  The U2415 only offers a DP out and an mDP in, and there's only one way to define "out" and "in" in this case since the video signal only ever travels in one direction.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 29th, 2020 10:00

Hi,

I hope you are well.

Shalvi here. Just checking if you got the chance to follow the steps shared. If yes, can you please share an update with me?

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

June 30th, 2020 08:00

@jphughan Yup, my bad on poorly describing the sequence of connection there. Thanks for the input and your pointer to the daisy chain setup. For now the monitors serve their purpose

No Events found!