Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2015 17:00

U2415, uniform luminance?

I just bought this monitor, and I'm noticing that on white backgrounds the brightness isn't quite uniform. Particularly it looks a bit darker/dirty toward the top left and right corners. I wouldn't usually be too concerned but this being an ultrasharp I thought it would do a better job. Is this something I should expect or did I get a faulty panel?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 24th, 2015 12:00

Reset it to Factory defaults (page 45). Then run the Built-in Diagnostics (page 58) and post pictures of the colored screens.

June 24th, 2015 13:00

I'll see about doing that test, in the mean time here's a pic I took of it at brightness 28/120 nits against a white background. Imo it looks pretty bad.

June 24th, 2015 17:00

repost

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 25th, 2015 00:00

At our defaults, Brightness should be 75, not 28. But based on the pictures, the monitor is well within manufacturer specifications for uniformity.

67 Posts

June 25th, 2015 00:00

I wonder why Dell does not calibrate brightness to the 120cd industry standard? At 75 you burn your retinas out. Its way to bright. Calibrated for 120cd mine came out to be 29 brightness setting.

June 25th, 2015 09:00

chris M: Those pictures are based on 75 brightness.

In any case, this is rather disappointing. I wouldn't expect a semi-professional monitor to have vignetting like this.

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

June 25th, 2015 11:00

At default factory values I think that:

-WLEDs are Con 75 bright 50

-GBLEDs are Con 50 bright 50

Usually ther lower the bightness or the farther you get from native white point (the warmer tthe white usually), the poorer bightness & color uniformity are, on all displays.

Anyway, even if they come at wthetever bightness to get 120cd/m2 Dell uniformity specs are pretty loooow, as all mainstream vendor (Asus, benq...all those guys play the in same leage)

If you want uniformity go for NEC Spectraviews or Eizo Coloredges... AND PAY FOR IT.

Even Eizo & NEC "office sRGB monitors" like yours does not have such "uniformity OK" warranty, only their higher models.

So this these mainstream monitors, they way to deal with them is return for refund if you do not like the Quality Control of your unit.

June 26th, 2015 08:00

My concern isn't so much whether dell would replace it, I still have a return window. My concern is if it would do any good, because I get the impression most u2415s look like this? I saw a picture on another forum of the same issue and the shadows were in the same place.

No Events found!