Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

June 15th, 2016 15:00

U2417H, Inspiron 580 MT desktop, connections?

My new monitor arrived today but I cannot connect it with the cables enclosed. My old Inspiron 580 was bought in 2010 and my old monitor used the VGA connection. 

The cables supplied with the new monitor are USB 3.0 upstream cable and a DP to mDP cable. There doesn't seem to be a mDP socket on my desktop so how can I connect the monitor?  

My first question to the Dell sales person was "Would this new monitor be compatible with my old Inspiron 580 desktop i.e., regarding connectivity?"  He said Yes it would.

Any help would be much appreciated - but not too technical please.  I assume that the monitor must connect into the Graphics card which is 1GB ATI Radeon HD5450.  This has a VGA connection and 2 other connections one of which I guess is HDMI.  The other connector is for a much larger plug with 24 pins.

Thank you

Dell Inspiron 580MT: Intel core i3 Processor 530

Graphics: 1GB ATI Radeon HD5450

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 15th, 2016 16:00

The sales person obviously did not do their job, our apologies.

The U2417H manual shows the cables provided and the video in ports.

U2417H video in ports = HDMI/DP/mDP
Radeon HD5450 video out ports = VGA (blue)/HDMI (black)/DVI (white)

You need to purchase locally an HDMI to HDMI cable. Like this one. You will then plug it into the Radeon HD5450 HDMI out port and the other end into the #2 HDMI in port on the U2417H. Remember to press the U2417H second button  to choose HDMI.

9 Posts

June 16th, 2016 03:00

Chris M

Thank you very much indeed for this very clear answer.  I will be buying the HDMI cable you recommend later today and will report back if I get it to work.  I regret giving the sales person M Wasim such a high score on the sales survey. I recommend he has some appropriate training.

Peter

No Events found!