Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2017 09:00

U2417H, MacBook Pro Retina, blurry text

Hi guys,

Just got myself a external monitor (Dell 24" UltraSharp U2417Hh) and plugged in my MacBook Pro Retina 15" Late-2013 using DP. To my great disappointment text and fonts look extremely blurred and not with a good definition, I can't stand reading anything on it. I tried doing some research but I didn't get to any conclusions. Space in set RGB in my Color Profile, so I guess running that ruby script would not have any effect. I'm running on Sierra. Is this kind of monitor not compatible with Retina? Can someone please let me know what should I do? 

Thanks, Thomas

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

As you can see in the image below taken directly from the Dell U2417H driver page, the Apple proprietary operating system and hardware are not tested by Dell on this monitor.

Dell cannot offer full support for something Dell never tested/validated. All we can offer is best guess support. You should also post on the Apple Support Communities and see if they can offer some insight or troubleshooting steps.
* Open the U2417H Menu (page 35). If it shows 1920x1080, 60Hz, then the U2417H is set correctly
* Do you see the issue when testing the monitor on a computer running a Windows operating system?
* Does the Apple OS have some sort of safe mode to boot into to check if the issue is also there?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

Run the U2417H standalone Built-in Diagnostics (page 49). One of those screens has text on it. Is the text blurry?

4 Posts

hey Chris, thanks for reaching out.

I know Dell only supports Windows...I have posted in the Apple Communities already but no insight so far. I'm also in touch with their engineering team.

The monitor is set correctly but I haven't tested on a Windows machine since I got none.

4 Posts

February 1st, 2017 13:00

I can't seem to start that diagnosis, i pressed 1 + 4 buttons for 2 seconds and nothing happens, no cables are connected but the energy cable.

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 03:00

I can't run the Built-in Diagnostics, I follow the exact instructions but nothing happens

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 05:00

* Disconnect every cable from the monitor including the power cable
* Wait 30 seconds
* Reconnect only the power cable to the monitor
* Press the power button
* Press buttons 1 and 4 at the same time for two seconds
* A gray screen should appear
* Press button 4
* A red screen should appear