Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2017 15:00

U2417H, USB ports not functioning

Hello,

I've been using a Dell U2417H monitor for about a month or so now. Purchased new. The two high-speed USB 3.0 ports on the left edge of the monitor don't function, nor do to the two on the back of the monitor function. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a Dell Inspiron 560 tower. Am considering moving to Windows 10 Pro very soon. Have connected the supplied (with monitor) USB cable to connect the computer to the monitor. Cable is properly connected to the monitor, and is connected to a third-party USB 3.0 on the back side of the Inspiron 560 computer. In Device Manager I show under Other devices two items: USB2137B and USB5537B which I am assuming are my USB device(s) integrated into the monitor. I am comfortable in this assumption, as when I unplug the USB cable from the back of the computer that connects to the monitor, I get a corresponding sound, and the devices disappear from Device Manager. I have inquired with Dell a few weeks ago, only to be given the obvious disconnect/reconnect, power down and back on and some nonsense about changing my connection to HDMI (which I am using), as if that would make any difference. I have searched cumulatively for about five hours on three occasions without coming across any specific drivers or chipset installers that might solve the lack of function of these two pairs of ports.I would guess that they should just work with the built-in USB drivers in the operating system. I have installed the latest chipset driver for my Dell Inspiron 560 today. I have tried installations of a couple different flavors of USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Drivers, to no avail. I would appreciate anyone that may have some insight as to a solution to my issue coming forth with some words of wisdom for me.

Thanks,

John

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 19:00

Instead of adding a 3rd party USB 3.0 device, test the U2417H USB upstream cable connected directly to one of the Inspiron 560 computer onboard/built-in USB ports above the colored audio ports. From the U2417H User's Guide page 28 =

2 Posts

December 24th, 2017 10:00

Chris,

To answer your question, YES, I did test it, minutes after connecting it, and found it not working. As a computer repair shop owner, I figured that I would sort it out myself, and after a week of trying to, I contacted Dell about it, described in my original post. The Inspiron 560 does not (to my knowledge) have built-in USB 3.0, so I thought to take advantage of the faster USB 3.0 function, I'd connect it to my third-party add-in 3.0 USB card. Obviously (to me), it functions, as the devices show up in the device manager within the operating system. If it didn't function, I would not see anything in the Device Manager. In YOUR defense, I failed to mention that I'd already tried to connect it to the computer's built-in slower USB 2.0 port, with the same result. I'm not an entry-level computer user. I've been repairing and dealing with other people's computer problems for a dozen years now. Just looking for some insight from Dell or anyone that might have the magic pill for making this setup work. Again, I believe that it should just work, so maybe it's just not going to. But speaking directly to the company (or it's message board community) that sells the device, I thought I might find that someone has seen this issue before, and can share the solution.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 25th, 2017 05:00

Since you have access to other computers, test and replicate the U2417H USB hub failure on a different computer. If the U2417H USB hub failure appears on multiple computers, get it exchanged.

No Events found!