Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

U2417HJ - An issue with screen tearing and a concern regarding the monitor name

Hello good people,

As stated in the subject I have been experiencing issues with image tearing.
I bought the monitor and the video card at the same time in order to upgrade my home computer.
These tears occur either during more dynamic scenes in video playback or while gaming.
The effect is very similar to Wikipedia's simulated example, found below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing#/media/File:Tearing_(simulated).jpg

Another thing I noticed while troubleshooting the above mentioned issue was that both Windows and the Nvidia Control Panel identify my monitor as a U2414H rather than a U2417HJ.

Win:

Nvidia:

I fired up AIDA and noticed the same:

I took a more careful look on the back-side of the monitor and noticed that it's labeled DELL U2417HJ but, two rows lower, the model number is written as U2417HJb. Is there any particular reason behind these?

If you have any advice or answers for the above I would be very grateful.
Below you find my specifications.

S/N - CN-0P8YT7-74261-6CI-093L-A01
*The monitor was purchased from a reseller.
What specific computer model? - HP Compaq Elite 8300 MT
What operating system? - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
What specific video card? - GeForce GTX 1050 TI
What video out ports are on the video card? - DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort.
There is only one cable connecting the monitor to the computer. It is a HDMI cable.
I did not install Dell Displays Manager.
What Windows power plan? - It's always set to the default Balanced profile.
* If the monitor is functional in Windows, press the monitor Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display). What is the left Resolution and right Maximum?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,
Andrei

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 12:00

There is only one U2417HJ. Go here, do a Ctrl F search for U2417HJ. Only one appears. On that page, the driver is called, "Dell U2414H 24" Monitor with LED Driver". Clicking "View full driver details" takes you here. Click "Compatible Systems" and it shows =
Dell U2414H, Dell U2417HJ Wireless Charging Monitor

CN-0P8YT7-74261-6CI-093L A01
Dell part P8YT7 = U2417HJB (B = black)
6CI = Manufactured on December 18, 2016
A01 = Firmware revision

Assuming that you have gone to the Nvidia website and downloaded/installed the latest GeForce GTX 1050 Ti driver?

You should test for tearing using the provided DP to mDP cable that was in the U2417HJ box =

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DP out port --> U2417HJ DP to mDP cable --> U2417HJ mDP in port

No Events found!