Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

July 16th, 2021 00:00

U2422HE, No USB-C signal from your device

I have just purchased a U2422HE monitor, and am attempting to connect my MacBook Pro via a single USB Type-C cable to the USB Type-C 90W port. When I do this the USB hub works fine, but the display does not receive a signal. I am using the included USB Type-C to C cable.

This exact computer works completely fine over the USB Type-C port on the U2722DE that I have in the office. I even went and got the exact cable that I used on that monitor with the same computer, and that doesn't work either.

Why isn't the monitor working over the USB Type-C 90W port?

I have tried:

- Restarting everything.
- System Preferences > Displays > Detect Displays.
- Disconnecting everything else from the monitor.
- Everything is connected to the correct ports as per the manual.
- KVM settings are set correctly as per the manual.

Does this monitor not actually support this advertised feature? Why would it work on the U2722DE but not the 24" model?

6 Posts

July 16th, 2021 01:00

I have absolutely no idea what I did, but it seems to have just randomly started working. I may have disconnected and reconnected the cable, or opened and closed the laptop a couple of times. I can't think of anything else it would be. I also have no idea if it will continue to work, but for now it seems ok.

3 Posts

July 25th, 2021 14:00

Hello!
I am one click away from purchasing this monitor and i'm using M1 MacBook Pro 13. Could you please confirm if it still works fine, meaning you get the picture, power and the network using only single usb-c cable that came with the monitor?
Cheers
Nikola

6 Posts

July 26th, 2021 00:00

I'm not sure what was going on originally, but it's been working completely as expected since my second post (I'm on it right now). The display works, the MacBook is receiving power, and USB devices connected to the monitor are recognised over the one cable. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro via one USB-C cable, and a PC via an HDMI port and a USB-C cable, and switching inputs switches the display and keyboard and mouse I have connected to the monitor just fine. I'm not using the ethernet port though, so I can't comment on that. I'm really not sure what was wrong originally, but if you have a similar experience, just stick with it for a bit I guess.

6 Posts

July 26th, 2021 00:00

You have to unplug and plug the usb-c cable from your macbook; whenever, you restart or refresh start your computer. I've been struggling this issue since I bought U3821DW first time. It's about 3 months and still no fix yet. Good luck

1 Message

August 26th, 2021 11:00

I have a similar problem, I'm trying to connect it to my Macbook Pro M1 and to use a mouse and keyboard connected to the monitor. 

Do you use the provided USB-C cable to connect your laptop to the monitor usb-c 90W port?

When I connect mine it is charging from the monitor and it shows my desktop, but connected mouse is not working. Do I need to use second cable or something that?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 26th, 2021 12:00

That USB-C cable should carry video, power, and USB data, so you shouldn't need a second cable.  However, I've seen reports of issues with M1 Apple products and Dell USB-C displays here, so lack of USB data connectivity is potentially an issue that affects the specific combination of products you're using. You could certainly try connecting a second USB-C cable from the data-only upstream USB-C port on the display to another USB-C port on the MBP as a workaround though.  Then you might have to use the "USB Switch" function on the display's built-in menu to configure the display to use that port as its upstream data path.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2021 09:00

@saxahan wrote:

You have to unplug and plug the usb-c cable from your macbook; whenever, you restart or refresh start your computer. I've been struggling this issue since I bought U3821DW first time. It's about 3 months and still no fix yet. Good luck

There's definitely something wrong with macOS. The monitor stopped working for me again recently and I only got it working by connecting a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. Something about that "woke up" the port and it started working properly, so I was able to disconnect and discard the USB-C to DisplayPort cable. It's a widely reported issue with USB-C on Macs, and not specific to Dell monitors, as far as I can tell.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2021 09:00

@bozhidarch wrote:

Do you use the provided USB-C cable to connect your laptop to the monitor usb-c 90W port?

I use just the cable bundled with the monitor. Make sure you're using the correct ports on the back of the monitor for USB devices. One of the ports is an upstream port for connecting the USB hub to another computer.

6 Posts

September 6th, 2021 05:00

Well, that didn't last long. This fix no longer works, and I am now stuck using a separate DisplayPort cable for video, and USB-C for data and power.

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

February 27th, 2023 12:00

DELLChrisM_0-1677530395517.jpeg

Be sure that the provided U2422HE USB -C to USB-C cable is connected to the U2422HE #6 (Video + data) USB-C upstream port.

DELLChrisM_1-1677530395521.jpeg

Not to the #8 (data only) USB-C upstream port or the #13 USB-C downstream port.

DELLChrisM_2-1677530395511.jpeg

DELLChrisM_3-1677530395828.jpeg

If still no go, perform the no cables reset =
* Turn the U2422HE off
* Disconnect every cable (including power cable) and peripheral device from the U2422HE
* Press and hold in the power button for 8 seconds
* Reconnect cabling and retest

No Events found!