Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2021 01:00

U2422HE, dual, XPS 15 9570, daisy chain setup

Hi,

I bought 2 U2422HE monitors to use with my XPS 9570 and I'd like to Daisy Chain them in the most cable efficient way, but I'm not sure if I covered all the possibilities.

Both monitors are connected to the power and currently I have them connected like this:

XPS 9570 TB3 USB-C port --> USB-C to USB-C cable --> U2422HE #1 USB-C upstream port --> U2422HE #1 DP MST out --> DP to DP cable --> U2422HE #2 DP in

My questions are:

1- Is there any way to have the monitor #2 connected via USB-C as well?

2- What's the best way to connect the data capabilities of monitor #2? I thought about using the provided USB-C to USB-A cable using one of the monitor #1 USB-A downstream ports to the USB-C upstream port of monitor #2

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 31st, 2021 05:00

@gatanasios  There’s no way to have a daisy chain connection that carries both video and USB data to the second display over a single cable, if that’s what you mean by asking about an efficient connection. The only way to daisy chain video is with the DisplayPort MST output on the first display. If you want to use the USB ports on the second display, then yes you need to connect the upstream USB-C port of the second display to any downstream USB port (C or A) on the first display.

Unrelated, but just for your awareness, make sure you do not rely on the display as a power source for your system. The XPS 15 9570 is designed for a 130W power source, which is more than the 90W provided by that display. Therefore, if you want the system to perform optimally, keep its power adapter connected alongside the display. There’s no harm having a USB-C power source and the regular power adapter connected simultaneously. Otherwise you can end up seeing slower battery charging and/or throttled performance as the system attempts to adapt to an undersized power source.

May 31st, 2021 11:00

Hi @jphughan ,

Thanks a lot for your reply! It's really a pity, but I was 90% sure before buying the monitors, so it's ok

And yes, I was aware that the power delivery from the monitor is not enough but the XPS, though I don't mind slow charging at all. What I don't know is how to evaluate if I'm getting some throttling given that I never play videogames or do video editing. Any way to test this?

Thanks again!

Gabriel

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 31st, 2021 11:00

@gatanasios  Happy to help. Having two cables to daisy chain both video and USB hopefully isn’t too big a deal given that the necessary cables are included and the displays have cable management to keep things tidy. In terms of seeing the impact of throttling, you’d need to run some sort of benchmark or controlled test that’s relevant to the kind of work you do. I suppose you could also look at Task Manager to see the highest actual CPU frequency your system reaches, since in heavier throttling cases you might never see it exceed 800 MHz, for example. But whether that has enough of a practical impact on what you’re doing to justify dealing with the power adapter is a separate question.

May 31st, 2021 13:00

Thanks for the suggestions @jphughan .

The simple Windows performance monitor shows a normal utilization of the processor, getting close to 4 GHz at times.

I'll consider adding the power cable though.

Cheers!

No Events found!