Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2016 10:00

U2515H and Apple MBP Late2011 - monitor randomly goes off for 1-2sec

Hello

I have new Dell U2515H manufactured in march 2016 Rev A02. The monitor is connected to Apple Mac Book Pro 15' Late 2011 with supplied mDP - DP cable. The problem is randomly going to black screen for 1-2 sec and back. After some time this repeats. I've tried with different mDP - DP cable - same results. Sometimes it works w/o any issue for the week.

With UGreen 4k mDP - HDMI i'm only able to receive 2048x1152@60Hz which isn't good for me.

What can be an issue?

BR,

Stanislav

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 16:00

Do you have another system you can test the monitor on (just to rule out the monitor)? Also I have not looked at OSX recently but are there any power settings that can be changed on an external display to prevent it from turning off? And I know you posted your MacBook model but can you let me know what ports you have for video out (is there any chance there is an HDMI port, unfortunately I want to say the pro had one then but cannot recall and am seeing mixed info)?

As for the 4k mDP - HDMI cable, sometimes I have seen issues with these where the device/port or the cable is limiting the resolution sent to the monitor. I am not sure if the Mac allows for it but could you try running a custom resolution with a lower refresh and a higher resolution? Also did you already try the other HDMI port on the monitor? And lastly, do you know if this cable is listed as active? I know sometimes adapter cables are not doing what they're supposed to and it will limit the resolution sent. The limit of 2048x1152 is specific to bandwidth being limited.

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

December 4th, 2016 02:00

Hello Brad,

On my MBP I have only one mDP port (thunderbolt 1 gen). The MPB itself has switchable graphic (integrated + AMD Radeon 6770).  I have this problem only on MBP. On my Lenovo T430 with Windows 7 it works w/o any issues. But 90% of time I use MBP. As I said early sometimes it happens often, sometimes isn't happen for weeks.

For HDMI - I've tried only one cable - from UGreen - and after I bought the cable, they confirmed that it support 2560x1440@30 only.

BR,

Stanislav

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

December 7th, 2016 06:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if on the Mac there is a way to limit the bandwidth to try a custom resolution of 2560x1440 @ 30hz (not ideal, but could at least see if the monitor stays on)? Or try a different cable that can support 2560x1440 @ 60hz? I will see if there is anything else I can find, but if it is working with the Lenovo it sounds like there might be some setting w/ the MBP. 

Thanks,

Brad

3 Posts

December 7th, 2016 08:00

Thank you. I'm unable to find the way to change the custom resolution in OS X. Will continue to use mDP-DP cable - it seems now working w/o issues.

BR,

Stanislav

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

December 7th, 2016 14:00

Hi Stanislav,

Glad to hear it is working for now. Another option since the monitor does work on Lenovo would be trying to post it on the Apple Support Forum, hopefully there is a setting someone knows about to correct this. If nothing works there an active cable that can support 2560x1440 @ 60 will be the next best option (for HDMI). I meant to mention it earlier, but I am really surprised they were able to advertise the cable they sold you as 4k when it couldn't do 1440p @60.

I hope the monitor continues to work well for you and you find an easy solution.

Best regards,

Brad 

No Events found!