Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

8 Posts

March 9th, 2020 08:00

U2518D, GTX 1060, 59Hz, tearing

Hi - thought I'd post as I'd tried the fix explained here and no matter what I do I cannot get windows to change the refresh rate to 60Hz, I have the option but after applying and clicking OK I go back in and it's back at 59Hz. It is always goes back to 59Hz after changing in properties. Has anyone else experienced this? Screenshots to explain below...

I'd also like to add that the widespread issue people are having with this monitor is something to do with the Windows driver. This is proven by the fixes provided in that thread. I have also been using this monitor plugged in to a Mac where the issue is not as evident, again further proving it is a problem with the Windows driver. I'm astounded that even with the number of reports I've seen on this issue, Dell has not done anything to try and rectify this. This problem is being perceived by many as a hardware fault (even rtings.com has this problem listed under their review as a hardware issue), when in fact it appears to be a software issue that can be worked on and fixed on the back end.

robcshaw_0-1583767434474.png

robcshaw_1-1583767446579.png

robcshaw_2-1583767486895.png

8 Posts

March 9th, 2020 08:00

Thought I would also add, further to comment regarding the driver issue. Potentially this could be a firmware issue too where the monitor is reporting a refresh rate between 59-60hz. This looks like what I am experiencing where it appears I cannot switch refresh rates in my properties panel - see link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2006076/screen-refresh-rate-in-windows-does-not-apply-the-user-selected-settin

8 Posts

March 9th, 2020 09:00

Sorry to keep posting... Just trying a few things out.

After doing a factory reset on the monitor and then trying to the CRU 'fix' again, it appears to have applied properly, IE. 60Hz is now showing as the only option in display properties. 

However, this does not fix the tearing issue for me. 

Back to the drawing board. I feel like the only real solution at this point is to return the monitor [if Dell continue to do nothing about it]!

2 Posts

March 9th, 2020 14:00

Hi,

Sorry, not much to suggest here - just wanted to say that the original fix involving using CRU is still working for me, even on windows 10 1909. I have no idea if it would still work if I reinstalled the OS right now, but it definitely *can* work. Having said that, if you have an option to return this monitor and buy something else without this issue, I would definitely recommend doing so - simply because while this issue might be "fixable" on windows, it's impossible to fix tearing once you use the monitor with anything else. I ocassionally use it with my PS4 and the tearing drives me mad.

No Events found!