U2518D, GTX 1060, tearing, stuttering

Monitor: U2518D
Video Card: GTX 1060
Connection used: mDP
Storethe monitor was purchased directly from Dell BRASIL, www.dell.com.br
About me: I am from Brasil/Rio de Janeiro
Firmware: M2T103

First problem: (screen tearing)

The U2518D crashes when playing any game. What happens? A horizontal line passes from the middle of the screen upwards. This happens in any 3D/2D game.

Second problem: (screen stuttering)

The U2518D skips the image every 29 seconds. When watching YouTube, browsing windows, playing games. It is always every 29 seconds. Any image that is on the screen is only counting 29 seconds from the first break that will happen again.

PS: Please, I saw that all the people who got the monitor had the same problem. What will be the solution? Will Dell launch new firmware? Or is it a real U2518D hardware problem? This is not a cheap monitor to let this manufacturing defect go unnoticed.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 06:00

* Open the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu- Others
* Go to Factory Reset and restore to Factory settings

"Connection used: mDP"
Not sure what that means? You need to explain in detail. For example, is this how yours is setup?
GTX 1060 DP out port --> U2518D DP to mDP cable --> U2518D mDP in port

* Which flavor of GTX 1060? EVGA, MSI, etc.

* Test these configurations after you get the retail cabling =
GTX 1060 DP out port --> retail DP to DP cable --> U2518D DP in port
GTX 1060 HDMI out port --> retail HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2518D HDMI in port

* Test the U2518D on another computer and see if the issues follow the U2518D

February 22nd, 2018 11:00

Thanks for answering, Chris M.

"* Open the OSD (On Screen Display) Menu- Others
* Go to Factory Reset and restore to Factory settings"

Resp: I did and the problems continues.

""Connection used: mDP"
Not sure what that means? You need to explain in detail. For example, is this how yours is setup?
GTX 1060 DP out port --> U2518D DP to mDP cable --> U2518D mDP in port"

Resp: (GTX 1060 DP out port --> U2518D DP to mDP cable --> U2518D mDP in port

"* Which flavor of GTX 1060? EVGA, MSI, etc."

Resp: ASUS GEFORCE GTX 1060 DUAL OC 3GB GDDR5

"* Test these configurations after you get the retail cabling =
GTX 1060 DP out port --> retail DP to DP cable --> U2518D DP in port
GTX 1060 HDMI out port --> retail HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2518D HDMI in port"

Resp: I tested (GTX 1060 HDMI) ---> (U2518D HDMI). Same problems using the HDMI cable, tearing and stuttering. Tearing on games and stuttering by default on all applications on every 29 seconds.

"* Test the U2518D on another computer and see if the issues follow the U2518D"

Resp: I tested with my DELL XPS 9550, Intel Graphics and Nvidia Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM). I had the same problem, tearing on games 2d or 3d and stuttering (every 29 seconds) on youtube video or any other test like games or window transitions. How was the test? (DELL XPS 9550 HDMI) ---> (DELL U2518D HDMI), and the problems persist.

Thank you for your support.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 13:00

Look for a label on the U2518D. What is the 20 digit serial number and A0x revision?
When was the purchase made from Dell Brazil?
Was it shipped to you with M2T103 installed? Or did you install M2T103 yourself? If you installed M2T103, did you have the same issues prior to installing it?

February 25th, 2018 09:00

"Look for a label on the U2518D. What is the 20 ...?"

Resp: CN-00WG2J-WS200-7AJ-AAWL , Revision: A02

"When was the purchase made from Dell Brazil?"

Resp: I bought : (24/01/2018 at 14:43 same as 01-24-2018 at 2:43pm) and i received in my house: (16/02/2018 same as 02-16-2018)

"Was it shipped to you with M2T103 installed? Or did you install M2T103 yourself? If you installed M2T103, did you have the same issues prior to installing it?"

Resp: No. It comes with M2T102. I installed by my self the M2T103 firmware. Yes, I had the same problems. I installed the m2t103 (newer) version because I was having problems with the m2t102, problems like (tearing, stuttering).

Thank you Chris for your response.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 26th, 2018 06:00

Built on October 19, 2017. Go ahead and get an exchange. It should have the latest firmware pre-installed on it. Test the replacement before returning any monitor to Dell.
* If the replacement monitor does not have the issue, send back to Dell the original monitor
* If both monitors have the same issue, it is highly unlikely that both monitors are defective. Look to the devices, drivers, cabling, etc. Send back to Dell the replacement monitor

1 Message

October 21st, 2018 11:00

I think I found a solution and I would like to know if it works for others?

* Delete all custom resolutions from the Nvidia control panel
* Download the CRU tool. They have an explanation on how to use it there. Basically from the CRU I edited, not added, the native resolution in "detailed resolutions" from 59Hz to 60Hz. Then as instructed, I went to Display Settings - Advanced - Adapter properties, and made sure that in the mods it is now listed under 60Hz and in the monitor tab also. It seems to work in games and browser for now, didn't check other applications yet.

Let me know how it works for you.

October 27th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for your comment, I've done all this, and it's the way I've used the monitor. But I believe that, this can generate some problems, after about 4 months using the monitor in this way with 60Hz, I could notice that, always after the monitor comes back from the standby: everything is slow, the mouse cursor gets a very big delay, after is generated a tear in the middle of the screen and everything returns to normal. When I have time I will film and post here in the group.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2018 03:00

Duuuude! I can confirm that using the CRU tool fixes the issue on my U2518D!!!!!!

I've done exactly what you said - used the tool to change the default refresh rate from 59.95Hz to solid 60.00Hz and after restarting the driver(using the bundled restart.exe program) all games are buttery smooth. No tearing every ~20 seconds like before.

I was 100% ready to return/sell this monitor and get something else purely because of this issue. But you have saved me from doing that. Thank you thank you thank you!

Unfortunately, I imagine there is no fix for PS4 or anything else that cannot override the default refresh rate. That can only be fixed by Dell issuing a new firmware that will report the refresh rate as solid 60.00Hz to the system(or at least as one of the available modes).

1 Message

November 19th, 2018 10:00

Hi @lukas_civil can you share your problem with the monitor. I'm struggling with this issue a lot. Thanks

December 1st, 2018 14:00

@hayonatan  showed the best way to use the monitor. I'm using exactly that way. But as I said in another review, sometimes you'll have some tearing problems. My conclusion: This monitor has beautiful pictures, the picture quality is very good. but it's awful when you have some kind of transition, even a simple monitor can be better. Solution, buy a Samsung or LG and be happy.

No Events found!