Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2017 10:00

U2518D, PS4 Slim, GTX 960, tearing, stuttering

Hi

first of all, I need to stress that it's clear, that this seems to be a common issue with U2518D, because I can find on the internet numbers of people, who have exactly same problem as I am (except they are NOT using the PS4), for example. So the problem is basically "tearing" in every game or 3D application despite that the Vsync is ON and FPS well over 60. I call it "tearing", because it looks very much like tearing in games with disabled Vsync. But it doesn't look entirely like that, because normal tearing is usually only one horizontal line when the image is shifted, but in case of the U2518D, this line goes all the way from top to bottom, like entire image is refreshed. Because of that, it is much more distracting that usual tearing with disabled Vsync.

I also found out, that it is related to the resolution like this:

2560x1440 - GTX 960, DisplayPort -> U2518D mDP port
In this resolution, every +/- 26 seconds, the monitor display rather then tearing more like stuttering, so every 26 seconds there is short stutter and maybe minor tearing. This is quite distracting, it is not as much strong but it is too often, basically it is there all the time.

1920x1080 - GTX 960, DisplayPort -> U2518D mDP port
In this resolution, every +/- 36 seconds, there is the tearing mentioned above (and also in the post by Thomas_nx5). This is extremely distracting, not only it happens way too frequent, but it looks really horrible as well.

1080p - PS4 HDMI -> U2518D HDMI
Same problem like in 1920x1080 on PC with DP.

720p/1080i - PS4 HDMI -> U2518D HDMI
Strangely enough, in 720p and even in 1080i, there is absolutely no problem with tearing. The movement is perfectly smooth, no tearing, no stuttering.

Other resolutions - GTX 960, DisplayPort -> U2518D mDP port
2560x1440 - stuttering
2048x1080 - OK, no tearing/stuttering
1920x1080 - tearing
1600x1200 - OK, no tearing/stuttering
1280x1024 - OK, no tearing/stuttering
1280x720 - OK, no tearing/stuttering
1024x768 - OK, no tearing/stuttering

So as it looks, the problem with smoothness is only in native 1440p and 1080p resolution. But of course, that is huge problem, because obviously, we want to use this monitor in a native resolution. All test was done also on my second monitor, HP ZR24w, where is absolutely no problem with smoothness of the movement. So it's clear, that the problem is in U2518D, not in PC, PS4 or anywhere else. As a test for PC, I tested it in many games and also found this handy utility by Nvidia which nicely show the problem as well and it is very fast to setup. Just click on 60 FPS, turn on Vsync and turn on orbit camera with maximum speed.
www.nvidia.com/.../demos

So please, as this (in my opinion) is really looking like systematic problem for U2518D. Can someone from the technical department look at this and diagnose properly IF this is indeed a problem? Why is this happening and what can be done with it? If it is a problem for all U2518D, or there are only couple of defective examples? If it is a problem with firmware, which may be updated? I found out that Dell U3415W monitor received firmware update that should resolve a problem with flickering. So my question is, what need to be done to do this? What do we customers have to do, so Dell technical department look at this and maybe fix the firmware or at least say that this is just a "feature" of the U2518D and it never be smooth in 1440p/1080p, so we can return this monitor and buy something else? The fact is, that with exception of this problem, I am very satisfied with this monitor. I like the image quality, design, it has perfect size and resolution. It has very good response time and minimal input lag. Also my monitor has no dead pixel or any major problem with uniformity of luminance. So I really don't like the idea to return it and replace with another U2518D, which may be worse and probably not solve this problem at all.

Test setup:
EVGA GTX 960 SC 4GB - DisplayPort
Windows 7 64-bit
PS4 Slim 1TB - HDMI

I also tried to change version of DP and HDMI in monitor setup, but none of that helped.

Thank you

1 Message

January 16th, 2018 20:00

Good, I'm having exactly the same problem, and I've reached the same conclusion in 1080p in a ps4 happens every 2 minutes however in 720 it disappears completely, my monitor is dated July 17, I dont know what it will be but I'm honestly considering its return since I see what happens in almost all

74 Posts

January 17th, 2018 07:00

In my case moving to this monitor from a 1280x1024 one removed the option for the XPS8900  system to go into standby - not sure why this is. The Nvidia control panel wouldn't open but another forum suggests it's because the HDMI cable is plugged into the PC box rather than the Nvidia GTX750Ti card directly - I've yet to get a cable with the right connectors to try this. See my post on the win10 board for more detail. Apparently, and according to some note I got  from a Dell employee, there is no real 1 to 1 Dell support on here, just an exchange of views from users! Some after-sales service! On the website I can't access support on the monitor because the site demands an order number whereas I bought it from a reseller.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2018 03:00

Hi,

Did you manage to get a "real" fix for the tearing and/or stutter issue.

I am waiting on my 2rd replacement. My original monitor had these issues as well, but using CRU setting the refresh rate to 60.002 hz it worked "fine" (Vsycn enabled) until some update. Either windows, gfx or whatever...

Monitor died on the firmware upgrade. Replacement had bad pixel errors.

1 Message

March 31st, 2018 09:00

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue with all 3 U2518D's that I have purchased.

I'm using GTX 770 via DisplayPort. It also happens with Xbox One S and Xbox One X via HDMI.

Can we get a response from Dell on this?

Matt

15 Posts

March 31st, 2018 14:00

Ok, as it seems that more and more people discover this issue, I give you some news about this issue. I tried to solve this problem with official DELL customer support for about two months and short answer: they closed the case because they cannot replicate this problem.
So I ask them for video footage with U2518D showing perfectly smooth motion, but the answer was, that it is "TOP SECRET" and they are not allowed to share this type of informations, hmm.

As it doesn't look like DELL even try to solve this issue, there is no other choice for me, than RMA and ask for refund and then buy different monitor, this time, no DELL of course. Because I accept that there could be a usual problems with monitors like dead pixels, brightness uniformity problem, color accuracy etc. Most of them are more or less problems with individual units and I understand, that it is difficult to manufacture thousends of monitors that every one of them will be exactly same (and without any defects).

But this is not a problem of one unit, this is fundamental problem in design and if DELL acts like nothing is wrong, I am simply not willing to risk my money anymore and hope, that some other monitor from DELL would work as it is suppose to work. Now I have this monitor for 3 months, 3 months I have a monitor which I cannot use and who knows how long will take the whole RMA process, not to mention possibility, that it will be not accepted...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 31st, 2018 15:00

For reporting and tracking reasons, all new U2518D posters with this issue should start their own threads. To date, 10  Forum users have reported this issue. The call centers are not seeing this complaint. 

All PS4 users should be testing with only the PS4 connected to the U2518D. I am not sure if all of these variations are even possible...

Test 1 = U2518D HDMI 1.4 Enabled, Smart HDR Enabled
Test 2 = U2518D HDMI 1.4 Disabled, Smart HDR Enabled
Test 3 = U2518D HDMI 1.4 Enabled, Smart HDR Disabled
Test 4 = U2518D HDMI 1.4 Disabled, Smart HDR Disabled

How to change the HDMI version =
* Press the Menu button
* Go to Input Source
* Select HDMI and hold down the button for 8 seconds. A choice should appear;
Enable = HDMI 1.4, Disable = HDMI 2.0
* Exit the OSD

How to change the Smart HDR =
* Press the Menu button