Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 10:00

U2713H - no USB 3.0; does not pick up display resolution coming out of standby

I've read numerous posts describing similar problems on the U2713H but there seems to be a different thing to try each time but none of the solutions have worked. Are there any known solutions for the following problems:
1. USB 3.0 ports on the side of the monitor do not work at 3.0 when plugged into a 3.0 master port but work fine at 2.0 when plugged into a 2.0 master. Master 3.0 port operation on the computer has been confirmed to work.
2. Running DisplayPort 1.2. 2560x1440. Display sometimes detects proper resolution when bringing computer out of standby. Other times, it comes up at minimum (640x480?) resolution. Occurence is probably 50% of the time. Cycling the power using the panel power button fixes the problem, but then all my windows have to be resized. I never had this problem once on my 2408WFP (DP at max res for the monitor) for the last 5 yrs; the symptoms only exist with this monitor - the U2713H.

Advice much appreciated. FYI, this is an A04 rev monitor. How about an email address I can use to contact Dell tech support for Canada. I do not want to go through a call centre.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 13th, 2014 13:00

Was this purchased directly from Dell?

New or Outlet?

* Turn the computer and monitor off
* Disconnect the Dell USB 3.0 cable (part P57VD) from both the computer and the monitor
* Turn on the computer, then the monitor
* Once into Windows, open the Device Manager- Universal Serial Bus controllers
* Reconnect the Dell USB 3.0 cable to the monitor USB upstream port
* Connect the other end into the USB 3.0 port on the computer

Check the Device Manager for additions.

Universal Serial Bus controllers =
Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader
Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 MTT Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 MTT Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub

WD Drive Management devices =
WD SES Device

7 Posts

January 13th, 2014 18:00

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The monitor was purchased new directly from Dell.

I followed your directions. Plugging in the 3.0 port yielded one instance only of:

"Renesas Electronics USB 2.0 MTT Hub"
"Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Hub"

The following did not appear:

"Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader"

I could not find this:

WD Drive Management devices =
"WD SES Device"

The USB3.0 ports on the back of the monitor appeared to work.

The USB3.0 ports on the side of the monitor did not work but they did have power.

The card reader did not work.

If I plug the USB cable into a 2.0 port on the computer, the card reader is recognized and

"Realtek USB 3.0 Card Reader"

shows up under the list of USB controllers in Device Manager. The card reader will only work when the monitor is plugged into a 2.0 port. The USB ports on the side of the monitor worked only when the monitor is plugged into a 2.0 port.

"SD Card" will show up under Disk Drives once an SD card is inserted into the slot.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 14th, 2014 06:00

What other USB 3.0 devices have you tested in the computer USB 3.0 port to verify that the port itself is functioning?

7 Posts

January 14th, 2014 07:00

I used a Super Talent USB 3.0 RAM cache key in the back of the computer and in the monitor back ports and ran CrystalDiskMark to verify read/write speeds were over 480Mbit/s. Both the computer and the monitor back ports were over 480Mbit/s.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 14th, 2014 08:00

What is the monitor 20 digit serial PPID number?

7 Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

CN-0C6F0K-74261-36P-05VL

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

CN-0C6F0K-74261-36P-05VL = June 25, 2013 A04. That one should have the fixed Card Reader and side USB ports not working via USB3.0. I think before you get a monitor exchange through Dell Canada Technical Support, I would have them send you a replacement monitor USB3.0 cable, part number P57VD. Test that replacement cable. If still no go, have them issue a monitor replacement.

7 Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

OK, I will try a new cable, thanks for your help.

Is there an email address I can use to contact Dell Canada Technical Support?

And would you have any suggestions for the display resolution issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 15th, 2014 08:00

Is there an email address I can use to contact Dell Canada Technical Support?
* I cannot find one.

And would you have any suggestions for the display resolution issue?
* There are two DP (DisplayPort) on the monitor (full and mini). Have you tested both?  It might require getting a different DP cable.

7 Posts

January 16th, 2014 06:00

Yes, I had tried both. I am currently using a full DP - full DP cable that came with my 2408 as it appears to be a much heavier gauge than what shipped with the 2713.

No Events found!