Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2017 06:00

U2715H, A03, ghosting

Hi,

I got this U2715H for my studies task and 1440p non-competitive gaming. I have been using the monitor in gaming properly. However, in my last game Rime, I'm able to detected some ghosting issues over the blue sky. So I tested ghosting with test UFOs, and my monitor seemed OK. But then if I test ghosting with CYAN o MIDDLE GRAYS background color, the ghosting inverse or overshoot is slightly visible. Obviously I'm using NORMAL Response Time (FAST is even worse).

(In photos is less visible than real vision)

In most usual conditions of games, it hadn't been a real problem for me, only at Rime, because of minimalist graphic style with plain textures. Finally I'm worried because my reference review of U2715H by TFT Central said at Normal Response Time, it shouldn't show any overshoot or ghosting inverse. Maybe my unit uses a more aggressive overdrive internal setting or simply this low level of overshoot is normal? So, what about you? At least, a more aggressive overdrive means a lower overall response time? 

U2715H Revision A03, Manufactured 9/2016. Brought 2/2017

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 21st, 2017 06:00

There have been some reports of some ghosting, but all returned have been inside our manufacturer specifications. Sometimes ghosting can be caused by incorrect aspect ratio. Go to your video card control panel settings and make sure that the desktop scaling is set to scale based on 16x9 aspect ratio.

What computer model?
What video card?
Did you install the latest video card driver?
What video out ports are on the video card to test?
What computer to monitor cables are you testing?
Factory Reset it =
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Others- Factory Reset
Test all of the U2715H video in ports (HDMI/HDMI/DP/mDP)
* Change to Preset Mode Game and test with Dynamic Contrast On

8 Posts

August 21st, 2017 10:00

What computer model? - Asus Z97A, i5 4670k, 8GB RAM
What video card? - GTX 1070
Did you install the latest video card driver? - Yes
What video out ports are on the video card to test? What computer to monitor cables are you testing?
I'm using HDMI cable, because it was longer. But I could try DP then. Is it possible overshoot changes via DisplayPort, instead HDMI?

Factory Reset it =
* Press the Menu button to open the OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Others- Factory Reset
Did it

Test all of the U2715H video in ports (HDMI/HDMI/DP/mDP)
* Change to Preset Mode Game and test with Dynamic Contrast On
I've just tried it. But all modes show same ghosting.

There have been some reports of some ghosting, but all returned have been inside our manufacturer specifications. Sometimes ghosting can be caused by incorrect aspect ratio. Go to your video card control panel settings and make sure that the desktop scaling is set to scale based on 16x9 aspect ratio.

Yes, I have tried changed all setting about scale and aspect ratio, without changes. Then, do the most of U2715H look similar? And then I should consider my level overshoot normal and deal with it. Rest of users U2715H may test it, thanks:

https://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Color Background: Cyan 

Thanks for you reply. Regards

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 21st, 2017 13:00

When running that test at its defaults =
Cyan, 160 pixels, UFO, On

My UP3216Q shows some ghosting. But I do not see ANY ghosting in games. So the test fails for me as a false/positive result.

8 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 12:00

Yes, so do I before. But I discovered ghosting could be a problem, in RiME (Tequila Works). Here you are a gameplay, where I'm able to detect visible ghosting on outlines of trees.

Regards.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 22nd, 2017 15:00

You are welcome to try through support to get an exchange. Test the replacement. If it does not have the issue, return the original to Dell. If the replacement has the same issue, then the fault cannot be with the monitors.

8 Posts

August 26th, 2017 06:00

I've been doing test. I have just checked "test UFOs" on a friend's simple IPS monitor, and light trailing behind UFO was visible too in this test. So in this respect there is no problem. But main anomaly really is trailing when I scroll windows websites with determinated background. This problem wasn't shown on the friend's monitor, but yes in mine. It's noticeable on background gray, and it's shown a bright trail behind of figures or text. Besides, some trailing shows a pink o green tint. However this latter happens only on Standard Mode (pre-calibrated)" that I think it may be due to how pre-calibrated mode has been set. But in any way, the trail is big and visible.

I have found other Dell U2715H samples with similar problem:

Or:

And I'm not sure if these are some faulty units due to some revision A 03. Or this is only a distinctive feature what we would have to know and it's normal. I'm confused. Really I don't believe a such good good awarded monitor may be this. It's difficult to me a easy replacement to try because I'd bought the monitor on Amazon.es (Spain, my country), and besides Monitor Service Tag number is identified by Dell Support in another region. I'm sure if my monitor is really faulty, Amazon.es could give a new replacement, in any way. But not a replacement for simply to check or to try.

8 Posts

August 27th, 2017 19:00

I have changed on OSD Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 and after have gone back 16:9 (this should be same), but after toggling back and forth, the ghosting inverse and big trailing are fixed! I checked UFO tests and scroll windows websites, and now trailing seems OK. It is forcing TRUE low overdrive for response time. However, when I put off monitor, the trick is reset, and another I see overshot. Definitively, it's demonstrated default Mode Normal wasn't working properly. This is like a OVER-NORMAL, a more aggressive setting what produce noticeable ghosting inverse. So, maybe now some A03 units are suffering this unwanted bug. Maybe Dell think the new more aggressive overdrive is better, maybe they have changed the model of the panel. Now I think I should to try a new replacement if Amazon.es accepts, although maybe it may work same bad way.

Regards, thank you.

8 Posts

September 1st, 2017 13:00

I have just received the replacement, and it's all wrong anyway. SAME PROBLEM.

Definitely, it is not a proper monitor for gaming, even singleplayer. Anything has changed respect to first reviews.

Shame, because image quality is unparalleled.

1 Message

February 21st, 2018 00:00

I was going to buy this monitor. Was the issue fixed by some firmware or by some revision? Ghosting is unacceptable for me.

August 25th, 2018 17:00

I bought this monitor 7/16/18 and still have serious ghosting problems. You can see them in the pictures:

Ghosting cursor

Ghosting cursor 2

Its the rev A05. September 2017.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 27th, 2018 10:00

Marcelo1197,

Toggle the Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 (OSD Menu- Display- Aspect Ratio), then toggle back to 16:9. Does the issue stop until you power off, then power on the U2715H?

August 30th, 2018 19:00

Hi, thanks you for the answer and sorry for my bad english.

Yes, I read that trick on youtube comment and works to fix the "inverse ghosting" issue but until power off the monitor. When I turn on it again, the ghosting is back.

I did the "response time" test from: https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ and here are the findings/results:

Without the "trick" applied:

Ghosting problem

ghosting issue

and this is with the trick applied, I switched to aspect ratio 4:3 and back to 16:9 and the gosting dissapeared 90%:

ghosting fixed

But I need to do this every time I power on the monitor again... I bought this model in amazon.com when I was in USA but now I'm back in Argentina. I need to tramite the "international warranty" or there is some fix? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 1st, 2018 05:00

Yes, the service tag has to be transferred from Amazon to yourself before Dell Argentina can setup a like for like used/refurbished exchange. No, they cannot "choose" which A0x revision ships out to you. You simply get the next one in queue.

1 Message

February 7th, 2019 00:00

Hi

I have A09 revision and didn't notice any ghosting - tested on PUBG, Battlefield 5 and LOL...

No Events found!