Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2015 05:00

U2715H, Dual, MacBook Air, not working

Why on earth is Dell not supporting OS X? I can connect one U2715H to a Mac, but not two. The Apple help desk blames Dell not to support OS X. I was so happy with my U2715H linked to my Mac, that I bought a second one. Apple confirmed that my MacBook Air supports two external monitors. So I bought a second U2715H. But all I achieved so far was a mirrored image of the first U2715H, not an independent display. Who can help?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 1st, 2016 16:00

The Apple Thunderbolt is what everyone else refers to as mDP (Mini DisplayPort). One mDP out port cannot run two monitors unless those monitors are in a daisy chain setup. In theory, this would be your setup =

MacBook Air TB/mDP out port --> Dell mDP to DP cable --> First U2715H DP in port (#5 in picture)
First U2715H DP out port (#7 in picture) --> Dell DP to mDP cable --> Second U2715H mDP in port (#6 in picture)

Then open the First U2715H OSD (On Screen Display) -Display and Enable DP 1.2. Any other Apple specific setup questions should be directed to Apple users here.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2015 07:00

NO. You neither answered my question at all, and I'm still without solution to my problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

I explained why Apple OS are not supported. Told you we could provide "best guess" support. I then asked you, "What video out ports are on this MacBook Air?".

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

As you can see in the image below taken directly from the Dell U2715H driver page. Apple OS are not supported by Dell.

Dell does not test/validate most of our monitor models on Apple proprietary hardware, ports, and software. This was a Dell and monitor manufacturer decision. We can give you "best guess" support but you should also post this issue on the Apple Forum to get their opinion on troubleshooting. What video out ports are on this MacBook Air?

4 Posts

January 1st, 2016 09:00

Hardware: MacBookAir13" (built 2013);

Software: OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.2;

Port: Thunderbolt, capable for two Thunderbolt displays. (according to Apple specifications)

(Like mentioned: one UH2715 connected works perfect, second UH2715 is not recognized as additional monitor by monitor setup.)

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 23:00

Thank you for your setup guide line. This is exactly what I did. The result on the second screen is a mirrored image of the first screen. And OsX does not recognize the second monitor. I give up. I will have to return the second monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 4th, 2016 08:00

"Apple confirmed that my MacBookAir supports two external monitors."

Maybe, but obviously not in a DP (DisplayPort) 1.2 Daisy Chain which is what you have proved. You should ask them what they specifically meant by "supports two external monitors".

1 Message

July 29th, 2018 21:00

I am sorry to necro this thread, but were you ever able to get this to work?

I plan on picking up a few Dell U2715H displays for use with both my MacBook Air 2017, and my MacBook Pro 2016. Any configuration would be fine, but I would prefer to have them setup to where all I have to do is plug in my Thunderbolt 2 (mini display port) cable to the Air, or into this dongle on my Pro, and have them work.

As much research as I have done on this topic, I haven't found anything very recent. I'm wondering if this was something Apple has started to allow in the recent move to High Sierra and it's updates.

I've got a thread going over on Apple's forums as well.

1 Message

June 19th, 2020 05:00

I’ve been able to get 2 U2715H’s working as separate displays on MacBook Pro’s (from OSX Yosemite to MacOS Catalina). In both instances I’ve also been able to use the MBP as a 3rd display.

MBP = MacBook Pro

MDP = Mini Displayport

DP = Displayport

TB = Thunderbolt

For MBP’s ~ 2015 with 2 TB/MDP ports FIRST connect via the MBP HDMI port to one of the U2715H HDMI ports using a HDMI cable, go into the U2715H settings and DISABLE DP2.1. Unplug the HDMI cable, run MDP cables from the MBP to the DP1 ports on the U2715H’s and change the U2715H inputs to DP. Simply use the MacOS display settings to arrange and ensure you use each as a separate display.

For MBP’s ~ 2020 with 4 USBC/TB ports you’ll need the Elgato TB3 dock. Run a TB3 cable form the MBP to the Elgato, then from the Elgato run a DP cable to DP 1 on one of the U2715H’s, then use a USBC-HDMI dongle from the Elgato to the 2nd U2715h. Make sure DP2.1 is disabled as above and that all inputs are correct on the U2715H’s. Again simply use the MacOS display settings to arrange and ensure you use each as a separate display.

No Events found!