Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2015 13:00

U2715H, Shuttle SH67, won't display boot or BIOS screens

My lovely new monitor works beautifully with windows 7 in my Shuttle SH67 using the HDMI port BUT:

It does not display the initial splash or BIOS screens - or the initial GRUB menu screen that I like to use to choose between operating systems. The minute it enters the Windows system, it's all good to go. This is the same when I connect it up to a Lenovo laptop and boot from scratch, I can see the splash screens on the laptop but not on the attached monitor, so I don't think it's to do with the Shuttle. I have a feeling there is a switch somewhere I have not found.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 17th, 2015 07:00

You should not be using the Shuttle SH67 DVI out port. You should be using its HDMI out port =

Shuttle SH67 HDMI out port --> 3rd party HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2715H HDMI in port (leftmost #1 HDMI in port when looking at rear of U2715H)

September 18th, 2015 02:00

Hi Chris

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I am using the onboard Intel HD graphics on the shuttle.

I connected the laptop using the HDMI cable. Thanks for the suggestion. My next step will be to try a DVI/HDMI adaptor on the shuttle - I have a hunch that will work. Interestingly the laptop also used Intel graphics, albeit a more recent version.

I am away from home now, so no further news for a few days.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2015 05:00

the same problem, DVI-HDMI cable - won't display boot or BIOS screens

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 18th, 2015 15:00

We know that the Shuttle HDMI out is 1.4 as is the U2715H HDMI in. The U2715H can do the lower resolutions.

But something is stopping the U2715H from displaying the low resolution required for the splash and Bios. I do not think the problem is on the U2715H end. Have you looked for Shuttle Forums to ask other users?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2015 17:00

- with use of a cable miniHDM - HDMI the screen Bios is displayed.

- with use of a cable DVI-D - HDMI the screen Bios it is invisible --> "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 2560x1440@60hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications."

How to make that too would work with a cable DVI-D - HDMI?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 18th, 2015 21:00

No idea. On our test system (Alienware Aurora, Nvidia GeForce GTX660), both DVI ports connected via a straight DVI to HDMI cable allow us to see the bios. Which is why we do not think the fault is with the monitor.

September 19th, 2015 05:00

Hi Chris

As this issue has occurred with both the machines in my house that have onboard intel graphics, I suspect it may be to do with that rather than the specific shuttle system - so I shall contact intel.

Phil

September 20th, 2015 16:00

Update

Using a DVI to HDMI adapter did not make any difference - still no boot screen.

And I tested it on my lovely asus laptop with integrated INtel graphics -  and again the same problem.

I think there may be an issue here with this monitor and Intel graphics systems - and it obviously won't show up if you only test on NVIDIA. I will try to pursue with Intel.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2018 00:00

I would argue that this not the Dell monitor problem. I have exactly the same problem with my U2715H connection to my desktop PC via DVI-to-HDMI cable. When I disconnect the monitor from my graphics card and connect the same cable to an Samsung TV - it shows everything just fine. It looks like this is purely DVI-to-HDMI problem, because when I connect the monitor to my laptop via HDMI-to-HDMI cable - everything works fine.

No Events found!