Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 23rd, 2018 02:00

U2718Q Nvidia Control Panel Settings

Hi!

I received my Dell U2718Q three days ago and I'm in love with it. It has the typical IPS Glow and almost no IPS bleeding, but that's inherent to the IPS technology. There are no dead pixels either, so I'm really happy with my purchase. I also updated the firmware.

Checking the NVIDIA Control Panel I noticed some settings at the "Change Resolution" section that I don't know how to configure for obtaining the best possible image quality. I connected the monitor to the GPU through the mDP-DP cable the package included (I also connected my PS4 Pro through the HDMI port). These settings are:

a) "Output color depth": The available options are "8 bpc" and "10 bpc". I thought that the "10 bpc" option was only available in HDR mode (the mDP 1.2 port lacks HDR, not that I care that much). Changing this option doesn't hace any noticeable impact in image quality.

b) "Output color format": I can't remember the available options right now, as I'm not typing this in my personal computer, but I think those are "RGB" and "YCbCr444". I also thought that "YCbCr444" was exclusive to HDR.

c) "Output Dynamic Range": The available options are "Full" and "Limited".

Which settings should I use? Is there any advantage using the DP over the mDP?

Thanks in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 05:00

Output color depth
* The U2718Q uses 10 bits (8 bits + FRC).
10 bits 10.7B colors versus 8 bits 16.7M colors
In normal usage, you cannot "see" this difference.

Output color format
* The U2718Q User's Guide page 36 shows you that the default "Input Color Format" is RGB. So you should choose that in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Output Dynamic Range
* Use Full.

Is there any advantage using the DP over the mDP?
* Nope.

April 7th, 2018 07:00

Chris, 

I tried setting my color to RGB and range to full, but when I hit apply the monitor just resets it to limited and YCB422.

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 8th, 2018 14:00

* What specific video card?
* List all video out ports on the video card
* What video card driver version?
* How is the video card connected to the U2718Q using what cable and ports?
* Did you change the U2718Q Input Color Format to RGB, then try to change in the Nvidia Control Panel?

No Events found!