Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2020 03:00

U2719DC, MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 non-Retina

Hello.

I recently bought this beautiful U2719DC, however I have couple of questions. At the moment I only have HDMI cable and mDP to HDMI converter which my MacBook Pro is using to talk to the U2719DC.

1) When I connect them, the max resolution I get is 2048x1080. Why? My MacBook Pro should support up to 2560x1600. I tried same connection with my Dell business laptop, and works perfectly fine.

2) I would like to have my mouse connected to the U2719DC so that if I switch between my personal MacBook Pro and work Dell laptop, I don't have to reconnect it to each laptop. I tried just plugging the mouse to the USB port on the U2719DC, but that doesn't work. What would I need to do to get that working?

3) Overall, which connection would you recommend to use with my MacBook Pro mid 2012? Obviously no USB Type-C, so it would either have to be HDMI or DisplayPort.

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 12:00

@veinar  Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapters rely on the Mini-DisplayPort source supporting "Dual Mode DisplayPort", which allows it to send a native HDMI signal.  Your system does, but that capability as far as I'm aware has only ever supported up to 1080p, or I guess the very slightly higher 2048x1080 resolution, even when the DisplayPort source can support much higher resolutions when using native DisplayPort signaling. Try getting a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and you should be fine, since the specs for that system here clearly state that it supports displays up to 2560x1600.

The ability to use USB peripherals plugged into your display requires a USB data path to exist between the display and your system, which is not created by connecting a basic video cable.  Since the only "upstream" USB interface on that display is its USB-C port, you'll need a USB-C to USB-A cable.  Make sure you get one that specifically supports USB 3.1 Gen 1.  Some USB-C to USB-A cables only support USB 2.0.  This connection would be in addition to your video cable, not instead of.  One cable will be handling video, the other will be handling USB data.  The only way to run both over a single cable would be with USB-C or Thunderbolt, but your system doesn't have USB-C and the U2719DC doesn't support Thunderbolt.

• 

25.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 09:00

@jphughan 

Thank you so much, this clarifies a lot!

I actually order the mDP to DP cable even before your post, tested today, and works like a charm

As for the USB-A to USB-C, I think it doesn't make much sense for me to get it yet, as I only have a cable mouse as a peripheral.

Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 3rd, 2020 17:00

@veinar  Happy to help, and glad to hear you're up and running.

No Events found!