Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2020 13:00

U2720Q, MacBook Pro, flickering

I've noticed a fairly consistent and worsening flickering with my new Dell U2720Q where the display goes dark and then reconnects.

At first I thought it might have been a loose cable but I've ensured that the USB Type-C cable is tight at both the monitor and laptop end.

Any advice on troubleshooting or isolating the problem?

Details of my set-up:

Dell:
Settings:
- USB Type-C Prioritization: High Resolution
- Response Time: Fast
- Smart HDR: Desktop
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 wide

Display Info:
- USB Type-C connection
- DP Capability: DP 1.4 (HBR 2)
- HDMI: 2.0
- USB: 2.0 

MacBook Pro:

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.45.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.45.50 PM.png

October 21st, 2020 18:00

Heads up @gstebbins  that I got a new Nimaso USB C to USB C (Gen 2, 3.1, 100W, PD) cable and so far so good on the problem not recurring. I'll let you know if that continues.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 23rd, 2020 06:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. You may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

September 23rd, 2020 11:00

Dell mentioned that they wouldn't be able to help me so this issue is still outstanding in case anyone in the community has anything to offer here.

I'm leaning towards some kind of data speed or power problem.

Latest evidence for that is that the lights on my keyboard which is connected to the monitor also flicker at times when the monitor's display does.

1 Message

October 1st, 2020 06:00

@BooRadley908 
I think there are two USB-C Ports behind the monitor. One with charging, the other one without. Try both.

2. In the monitor on screen menu, you have two connection modes. Try both

Curious to hear back

October 1st, 2020 07:00

Only one of the ports delivers enough power to power the laptop. That's the one I'm using.

In the OSD, only one of the modes—"High Resolution"—can deliver this resolution with 60 Hz refresh rate. That's the one I'm using.

I'm leaning towards a problem with the cable or the port on the display or my Mac as it seems to happen when I move the monitor around on its arm.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2020 16:00

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my U2720Q. Sometimes the flicker is more frequent, sometimes less frequent. It's never off for more than .5 of a second.

I'm connecting via USB-C to the top left port (if looking down onto the MacBook)

Specs:

https://share.metricinsights.com/YEuyrvR5

https://share.metricinsights.com/GGurl0QR

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 10:00

Got it, thanks @BooRadley908 ... appreciate the help! Just ordered the same one

October 28th, 2020 14:00

Hmm, this worked for a while but today the video signal and power dropped completely from the USB-C port.

I've read through this and am not having any luck troubleshooting with any of those steps.

Using a Dell UltraSharp USB-C Monitor with a Mac

Did I just get a dud Dell?

1 Message

January 8th, 2021 04:00

Hi I am facing the same problem. Tried already different USB-C cables but were not able to solve the problem.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2021 14:00

Works great so far with the recommended cable. The factory supplied cable is garbage. Thanks Dell for wasting 3 hours of my time with your terrible support team.

January 21st, 2021 15:00

> What's the production date / firmware on the old and new one? Any issues so far?

I don't have the old one anymore but I purchased it around the same time you did in Apr 2020. The new one is on  Firmware: M2T103 and I can't seem to find info on the production date.

@geraltx Hope this continues working for you. Heads up that eventually the problem returned for me and I had to have Dell replace the whole unit.

3 Posts

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it. What was the time frame for the issues to return?

3 Posts

Thanks for following up, seems like the community is better at support than Dell. Mine is from April 2020 running firmware M2T102 connected via USB-C to a 2020 MacBook Pro.

I had the issue from day one, and then the duration between on/off started speeding up the last couple weeks. Either they're trying to hypnotize me or give me a seizure.

What's the production date / firmware on the old and new one? What was the time frame for the issues to return? Any issues so far?

No Events found!