Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2014 13:00

U3014, backlight dimming, flickers at lowest brightness 0

U3014 set to brightness level = 0 (40 cd/m2). Screen backlight starts flickering intermittently after few hours. Backlight continues flickering within Built-in Diagnostic so it's monitor internal issue. The solution I found to make flickering stop is to increase brightness level. (Afterwords brightness level can be decreased back to 0). Though at 0 brightness backlight flickering unfortunately comes back (after 1-48 hours) so you have to change brightness level again to make it go away.
Does anyone experience this on their U3014? Can you suggest a permanent fix?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 21st, 2014 08:00

Brightness set to 0 is not tested/validated by Dell. The online U3014 User's Guide shows us that the manufacturer factory setting for Brightness is 50. Any further Brightness changes should be made in Windows Display settings or inside the GPU/video card control panel.

Capture.JPG

March 21st, 2014 12:00

To minimize eyestrain I prefer lowest brightness (40cd/m2) for working primarily with text.
At such low brightness the colors are rather pale but the screen still reproduces 100% sRGB and 100% AdobeRGB.
It's a trade off but when I don't need vibrant colors minimizing brightness is preferable to me.

Though I assume few users use extreme brightness levels the ability of U3014 to support low brightness at 40 cd/m2 is important to me (mine supports from 39 to 330 cd/m2).

Well, given the "uniqueness" of my usage scenario I can tolerate flickering occurring every 24-48 hours at 40 cd/m2 (change brightness up/down=fixed).
But if flickering appears more often I will request a replacement.

No Events found!