Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2016 06:00

U3417W, Aspect ratio of PIP stuck at 21:9?

Hi,

I have bought a U3417W monitor and am very happy with it, except for the PIP function. I use the PIP Small mode to display a small video window in the upper right corner. When I display a video via HDMI 2, the width of the video is streched to the 21:9 format which is standard for the U3417W monitor. The original video is 4:3 or 16:9.  Is it possible to set the Aspect Ratio of the Small PIP window to 4:3 or 16:9? Would it otherwise be possible to provide this functionality in a new update of the monitor firmware? The usefullness of the PIP function is limited if you can't display video at the original aspect ratio.

Thanks,

Walter

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 24th, 2016 13:00

The only PIP options I see are for size (Small, Large, Fill) and location (page 47). The PIP size does not mention resolutions. A firmware update is a costly venture to Dell. Firmware updates are only provided for issues that are deemed as failures. What you are looking for is something that was not part of the original design.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2016 00:00

Hi Chris, thanks for your answer.

I do not have any remark on resolution.  I am very happy with the DELL U3417W monitor resolution.  Also the PIP resolutions.

The issue I want to bring forward is that everybody wants to see their videos and photos in the PIP in the right aspect ratio.   Now it is stretched horizontally to 21:9 and henced deformed. Nobody likes that.

Supporting 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratios would solve the problem for most users.  I would say this is so obvious and should be in any design for a PIP, would you agree?

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Two common videographic aspect ratios are 4:3 (1.33:1), the universal video format of the 20th century, and 16:9 (1.77:1), universal for high-definition television and European digital television. Other cinema and video aspect ratios exist, but are used infrequently.

In still camera photography, the most common aspect ratios are 4:3, 3:2, and more recently being found in consumer cameras 16:9.[2]

Thanks,

Walter.  

No Events found!