Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

3 Posts

December 16th, 2020 18:00

U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB Type-C intermittent connection, #2

Hello,

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 16" and a brand new Dell 3818DW and experience the same issue as described in this thread (but I can't comment, it is locked) of intermittent connection lost.

Any way to work around this? I tried using my Apple power supply in addition to the USB-C of the display, but this does not change anything, still losing connection randomly and monitor is powering off.

I do not have one on hand but I guess I should try a USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI rather than using the display USB Type-C as a dock. This is quite sad for such a pricey display.

Best regards

3 Posts

December 18th, 2020 12:00

I have unplugged / plugged the USB-C and disabled both energy options "Automatic graphic switch" and "Power nap" in Mac OS (Big Sur). I can't tell if this is really a solution but so far so good, the issue did not occurred again in the last 2 days. I think maybe I'll purchase a "premium" USB-C cable, maybe it will help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 

25.1K Posts

December 19th, 2020 01:00

Thankyou for updating us.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 21st, 2020 21:00

Hello,

Hope you're doing well.
Just dropping by to check on the reported issues.

Did you get the chance to observe the system?
Feel free to drop in a message here if you need any help.

Kavyashree

2 Posts

January 5th, 2021 13:00

I had this issue crop up today and spent an unproductive hour on support chat. I also have a new 2019 MBP 16" and everything was working fine except the chirping until recently when my connection and charging started intermittently dropping.

I swapped USB-C cables and while the new cable only charges at 60w instead of 95w it's not dropped the video connection in the past 10 minutes which is nice. I wonder if Dell is supplying subpar cables with these monitors? Although I'm sure the OP of that now-locked thread tried various cables, and clearly the protocol is implemented incorrectly so that may be a separate issue.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2021 16:00

This seems to be the same as here.

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 18:00

Long term update: still fixed for me (no more intermittent black screen).

Not sure if that is the fix, but I always use my Apple external power supply in addition to the display USB-C.

No Events found!