Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2021 04:00

U4919DW, MacBook Pro M1 Max 14" 2021, no USB-C connection

Hello, I recently bought the latest MacBook Pro 14" with the M1 max chip as well as the Dell monitor U4919DW. If I connect the MacBook with the monitor with the USB-C cable provided by Dell, I get the message "No USB type-C cable". In other words, I cannot connect the MacBook with the monitor through USB-C. If I use the HDMI cable, the resolution is only 3840 x 1080, so not very good. Is there someone who can help me with connecting the devices through USB-C? I have read the support pages and contacted local Dell support, but no solution yet.

Many thanks, 

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 10th, 2022 09:00

Update from November 24, 2021 =

I found out that the USB Type-C signal is now working when the MacBook is NOT being charged by its power adaptor. So the MacBook does not recognize the U4919DW when BOTH the USB Type-C cable and the power adaptor are plugged into the MacBook. But, if I unplug the power adaptor, the MacBook recognizes the U4919DW. The USB Type-C cable charges the MacBook at the same time. Thank you for your time, everything seems to be working now!
ChrisMinn

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 24th, 2021 05:00

@ChrisMinn  Have you successfully tested any other systems with that USB-C cable? I’ve seen multiple reports of USB data connectivity to Dell USB-C displays breaking on macOS Monterey after users updated from the previous release, but not USB-C breaking wholesale. But this could be a simple case of a problematic USB-C cable even if charging is working, since charging and video run over separate pins, which is why I asked. If you don’t have any other system to test, do you have any way to test your system and that USB-C cable with another display or dock of some kind?

2 Posts

December 1st, 2021 05:00

Many thanks for your reply. I found out that the USB-C signal is now working when the Macbook is not being charged by its power adaptor. So it does not recognize the monitor when both the USB-C cable and the power adaptor are plugged in, but if I unplugged the power adaptor it recognized the monitor and the USB-C cable charges the Macbook at the same time. Thank you for your time, everything seems to be working now!

1 Message

December 4th, 2021 21:00

Having the same issue with my new M1 Max MacBook Pro. The monitor worked fine split between my 2012 MacBook Pro and a Dell laptop, both over HDMI. But the USB-C is getting the no signal detected from my Mac, even though it is charging. Switching between using the power adaptor and not did not work. Unfortunately I don't have any other USB-C device to test, but have tried multiple USB-C cables and none seem to work, including USB-C Thunderbolt 3 included with a Dell monitor. I did a factory reset on the monitor, and the monitor works over the M1 Max HDMI output.

No Events found!