Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2020 19:00

U4919DW, XPS 15 7590, 5K resolution?

Hello,

I'm considering buying an U4919DW monitor and use my Dell XPS 15 7590 on it. My PC has a 4K resolution (3840x2160)  and I'm wondering will my PC be able to use this monitor to it's full potential, due to it is a 5K resolution (5120x1440)?

I have a GTX 1650 graphics card on the PC. It also has USB-C 3.1 Gen 2/Thunderbolt 3/DisplayPort 1.2 (Power Delivery).

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 20:00

@Walee.ahm  Short answer: Yes it will work fine.  Even older XPS 13 systems like the 9350 that only have an older Intel GPU can run that resolution because "dual QHD" resolution (5120x1440) is actually slightly less total pixel area than 4K (3840x2160).  So you're all set.

Longer answer: Just fyi, the GeForce GPU doesn't come into play here.  In the XPS 15 models, and actually in most modern systems with dual GPUs, the Intel GPU is still wired to all of the display outputs.  The NVIDIA GPU when active works as a render-only device through a technology called NVIDIA Optimus.  This design has pros and cons, but in this specific case it means that when looking at display setups that you can run, you have to consider what the Intel GPU supports, since it's the one wired to the display outputs.  But again, Intel GPUs have supported this resolution for a while now.  Most of them will NOT however support actual 5K resolution, which is 5120x2880, i.e. twice as many pixels as 5120x1440.  The only Intel GPUs that support that as of this writing are the ones built into the new "Ice Lake" CPUs, which are some but not all of Intel's Core 10th Gen CPUs.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 20:00

@Walee.ahm  A couple more things to add to my earlier reply:

With an XPS 15 7590, you'll be able to run that display at its full resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate from either the USB-C/TB3 port or the HDMI 2.0 port.  If you want to use the former, then just use the USB-C cable that will come with the display.  Note however that your USB data speeds will be limited to USB 2.0, not USB 3.x.  The reason for this has to do with how USB-C links work and the fact that 5120x1440 resolution on that system requires allocating all high speed lanes to video, which means it isn't possible to run USB 3.x.  But depending on what you plan to connect to your display's built-in USB ports, you might be fine with that.  If not, use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to handle video and then use a "regular USB 3.0 cable" (meaning a USB-B to USB-A cable) to connect your display's "upstream" USB 3.0 port to your system.

If you want to use your HDMI 2.0 output, then make sure you use an HDMI cable specifically rated for HDMI 2.0.

Lastly, if you use regular USB-C, do NOT rely on the U4919DW as a power source.  The XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source, and the U4919DW does not support providing that much port over USB-C.  So you'll want to keep your XPS 15's power adapter connected as well, because if you don't, then the system will attempt to adapt to the reduced power budget from the display by reducing its battery charging speed and throttling its CPU and GPU performance, which obviously isn't ideal.

If you want to run 5120x1440 resolution, USB 3.x data, and enough power to run your system properly all from a single cable, your only option is a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the WD19TB.  But obviously that adds quite a bit of cost.

No Events found!