Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2019 16:00

UP2516D, firmware and calibration MAC OS

I read a bit here and want to get the attention of Chris M (the legend). Anyways, I have the UP2516D connected as an external to my latest MacBook; all good. Questions.

Do I need to do the firmware from M3T101 to M3T102? From what I gathered it is only needed if I want to "calibrate".

Right now I don't want to calibrate and am using:

• Color -> Preset Modes -> Color Space -> Adobe RGB
  • Color -> Gamma -> MAC.

On macOS I am using:

• System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Display Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Screenshot 2019-10-27 16.35.00.png

I attached an image of the Display profile: What is the UP2516D profile exactly? It appears generic and the same as Color LCD..

I have both the monitor and the os in Adobe RGB and everything appears fine. I don't want to calibrate further and "trust" the out of box presets. Please confirm if there is anything I missed.

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

725 Posts

October 28th, 2019 01:00

Use Gamma = PC

This way if you trust factory calibration you have
-HW: AdobeRGB preset supposed to be limited to AdobeRGB gamut, D65 and gamma 2.2
-SW: OS informed that your display in THAT particular configuration behaves like it was a perfect match to AdobeRGB.

Default profile UP2516D.icm is for native gamut (bigger than AdobeRGB in reds and bigger than P3 in greens-cyans), D65 white and a native gamma supposed to be 2.2 or sRGB TRC.
If you trust factory calibration you can use it in Standard Mode or in color temperature presets, since all rendering from image to screen uses a relative colorimetric approach regarding whitepoint (it works even if you set D50 white in OSD).

These monitors are meant to be calibrated, like any other widegamut screen, your are wasting your investment. Get an i1DisplayPro as a companion for that display.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2019 05:00

As usual, our resident calibration pro yumichan is spot on with great advice. Concerning any monitor firmware update, be VERY careful and follow the instructions to the letter. A failed monitor firmware update could break the monitor. Concerning the Apple OS and hardware, we only provided the Apple version of the X-Rite Calibration software. All Apple OS support should come from their users on the Apple Forum.

No Events found!