Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2016 09:00

UP2716D, external speakers audio out jack, must use USB downstream cable

Hi,

I just purchased the Dell UP2716D monitor and my laptop does not register the speakers when connected via USB to the monitor. I have a Mac laptop and installed the latest firmware for the monitor and on my laptop, and did that through USB. Strangely, when both the USB and DP were connected to my laptop, the speakers worked but as soon as I detached the USB from my laptop, the speakers stopped working. Unfortunately, the manual does not list such a troubleshoot so I cannot diagnose it myself, plus this is my first ever monitor. Also, I can only call Dell support tomorrow so any help here would be appreciated.

4 Posts

May 24th, 2016 14:00

No one knows? I currently have the USB to USB upstream (KVM) connection between my laptop and monitor with the speakers connected to the monitor. It will be a hassle to connect 3 cables (charger, miniDP, USB) every time I want to use the monitor. Please advise.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 24th, 2016 16:00

It sounds like you are saying when the UP2716D USB upstream cable is connected directly to the Mac laptop, the UP2716D speakers work. But when you add the KVM, the UP2716D speakers do not work. That points to an issue with the KVM, not the UP2716D.

If you look at step 5, it states that the UP2716D USB upstream cable is connected directly to the computer USB port.

Or by KVM, do you mean the internal one built into the UP2716D allowing access to OSD- USB Selection (choose either USB1 or USB2)?

4 Posts

May 25th, 2016 11:00

Forget about KVM. This is my first monitor so I wasn't sure about the terms, it is simply the USB upstream cable. When I had that connected, the speakers worked but when they weren't connected, they didn't work. I eventually found a solution online regarding this and I never knew I had to connect the USB upstream cable for USB devices to work in the monitor. I thought the mDP cable would do the job but I was wrong. It's an extra burden to connect the USB cable along with mDP and charger cable to my laptop every time I am on my desk, but that's alright.  

Thanks for your help nevertheless, Chris. 

No Events found!