Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2018 06:00

UP2716D, reseller purchased, coil whine

Just yesterday I noticed constant coil whine sound coming from monitor top side.

I haven't noticed it before probably because I never was in room when PC was turned off. Now PC was switched off and unplugged from power and it's was quite in the room. I will try to record noise today. Here some conditions:

• monitor is switched off, there is noticeable coil whine.
  • monitor is switched on, these is much louder noise, e.g. twice louder.
  • monitor unplugged from power, there is no noise.

Here are my questions, please:

1. I bought (paid for it) monitor on October 5 from vendor store, but received it only 1 week ago. Am I correct that still can initiate exchange?
  2. Can workaround this issue before requesting exchange?
  3. If I will request exchange, am I correct that I don't need to send my current monitor before I receive new one and test that it doesn't have this coil whine?

Thank you!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2018 06:00

We need to hear this coil whine to know if the noise exceeds our manufacturer specifications. Since you did not buy this directly from Dell, you have to first transfer the ownership to yourself. That could take 10 business days. The warranty started on the purchase date 10/5, not when you received it. The Dell 30 day return window for a new exchange ends on 11/5. Or you could simply contact the vendor now and have them replace it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2018 07:00

The ownership transfer process has to be completed before any exchange can be done.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for reply! Sure, I will try to record coin whine and attach it today. But even if it meets manufacture standards, I can't really accept it as it makes not usable the whole room for sleeping (or I need to unplug monitor every time an that is also not case). I will try to contact local retail store.

However if I will request exchange directly from Dell, do I need to wait for "ownership transfer" to be completed? Or can I request it even now?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2018 08:00

One more questions to clarify.  According to this page https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/eu/en/04/#/Identify:

If you purchased your Dell product at a retail store (not directly from Dell), you don’t need to transfer the product; you need to register your product.

So basically I need to register product, not transfer ownership? However I tried to regiester and site says I can't register with provided Service Tag ("This service tag holding product cannot be processed for retail registration" ???). So I just submitted transfer ownership..

But that's unclear why I need to transfer, as I bought it not second hand, but from retail store.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2018 09:00

If the "register your product" option did not work, then the only other option is ownership transfer.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 29th, 2018 11:00

I couldn't record with video, as seems quality of audio recording is not best there. So I used audio recorder. Sound actually comes not from monitor top, but from bottom panel where are all slots/sockets are located.

Please find uploaded audio here: https://vocaroo.com/i/s143ONqC0kGd

I also tried few other things and nothing helped.

• disconnected all other cables except power cable
  • tried few times to plug better power cable
  • tried connecting power cable for the different power sockets, without anything else connected to these sockets
  • tried defaults from monitor settings.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 29th, 2018 11:00

When you get the exchange, you will have both monitors on hand. Compare them for noise.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2018 02:00

I contacted customer support directly in my country and I received monitor for exchange. Unfortunately new monitor also has very noticeable coil whine in idle state (when it's off), so I can even hear if from another room..

Both monitors are fresh, July 2018 and August 2018..

No Events found!