Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

January 8th, 2020 10:00

UP3017, confused about proper USB connection

I have the UP3017 monitor. On the bottom of the monitor there are two USB upstream ports and two USB downstream ports. On the side of the monitor are two more USB downstream ports. Thus there are, in total, two upstream ports and four downstream ports.

With regard to the upstream ports, the user's guide says, "Connect the USB cable that comes with your monitor
to the computer. Once this cable is connected, you can use the USB downstream connectors on the monitor."

My confusion arises in that the instruction says to connect "the" USB cable (singular) to the computer, though there are two upstream ports. Does it matter which one I connect to the computer? If I connect only one of the two upstream ports to the computer, will all four of the downstream ports work? Or do I have to connect both upstream ports to the computer? In other words, why are there two upstream ports and how do they relate to the four downstream ports?

Many thanks for your assistance.

--Howard

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 11th, 2020 08:00

Understood. When you use only one USB upstream port, the connected upstream port is active. You would choose USB 1 in the Menu- USB Selection. The User's Guide page 44 tries to explain in this way;
If you are connecting to DP or mDP, the associated USB 3.0 upstream port is USB 1
If you are connecting to HDMI, the associated USB 3.0 upstream port is USB 2

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 8th, 2020 10:00

See page 43, USB Selection.

The UP3017 has four video in ports = HDMI1/HDMI2/DP/mDP

There are two USB 3.0 upstream ports to support two PC's connected to the UP3017 two video in ports. Of course you would need an additional USB 3.0 upstream cable for the second PC. Each PC would have access to all four USB 3.0 downstream ports.

PC#1 DP out port --> UP3017 DP to mDP cable --> UP3017 mDP in port
UP3017 #1 USB 3.0 upstream port --> USB 3.0 upstream cable --> PC#1 USB 3.0 port

PC#2 HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> UP3017 HDMI1 in port
UP3017 #2 USB 3.0 upstream port --> USB 3.0 upstream cable --> PC#2 USB 3.0 port

Both PC's are on, go into the UP3017 Menu,
PC#1 = Change Input Source to mDP and USB 1 to mDP
PC#2 = Change Input Source to HDMI and USB 2 to HDMI

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

January 11th, 2020 07:00

Thank you. I am only using one PC. How can I tell whether I am using the #1 USB upstream port or the #2 USB upstream port? I need to know this so I can set the right USB port to mDP in the Menu. The ports are not numbered on the monitor (see picture).

IMG_5156 copy.jpg

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

January 12th, 2020 08:00

Got it. Thanks.

--Howard

No Events found!