Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

33 Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

An comment to the my refurbished Monitor: It is like an new one. You can not see any difference to a new one. On the package ther is an lable, witch displays it is Revision A01.

If you have a "Refurbished" green label under monitor's support arm, that means it was at someone's home and sent back. If you don't see it, that means you got a brand new monitor.

28 Posts

April 11th, 2014 21:00

An comment to the my refurbished Monitor: It is like an new one. You can not see any difference to a new one. On the package ther is an lable, witch displays it is Revision A01.

MM69

25 Posts

April 11th, 2014 23:00

As I've noted before, with 337.50 I have only a "no signal" issus occasionally, which can be workaround by power-cycle monitor (easy for me since I have a switch just there) or shutting down in 30Hz mode.

38 Posts

April 12th, 2014 05:00

I doubt that is the case, or else how Anandtech would be able to flash the firmware provided by Dell?

I can see why DELL prefers to exchange, end of the day anyone can buy a JTAG device, but not everyone is comfortable with using it.

JTAG require particular headers, if designed with 2x5, 2x8, 10x2 or 14pin headers it would mean dismantling it to get to the board or less common special usb sticks. 

You would likely need to be comfortable with arcane command lines (not to all but to many command lines are) 

Plus if you brick it, you have bricked it

13 Posts

April 12th, 2014 07:00

Can anyone with updated firmware confirm that Dell color calibration still works, and doesn't cause further issues?

Thanks!

1 Message

April 12th, 2014 17:00

For gamma / contrast / color sync issues please see my dropbox video.  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58808849/2014-04-10%2008.20.58.mov

I uploaded video for changing settings.  The 4 categories to sync are brightness, contrast, gamma, and color.  Brightness is not an issues because that is based on backlighting which is global and not adjustable for each half.  When you turn on zonal support you have to make sure the global constrast value matches the local zonal constrast value, in my case that is 40.  For gamma to match set the gamma setting from PC to MAC.  For color to match make sure the global color setting matches the zonal color setting, in my case I set it to sRGB.

Once you have synced both halves you might try disabling DDC/CI.

4 Posts

April 15th, 2014 23:00

I've been running version 337.50 for a week now, and unfortunately this driver is a major step backwards for me. I clean installed this driver, and ever since, two out of three cold boots cause the display to go into sleep mode right when the blue windows logo comes up during boot. Force shutting down the machine, then disconnecting and reconnecting the power to the monitor, then turning the machine back on only works half the time, if that. Those times when the monitor does not go to sleep during startup, it usually goes to the half screen. I spend on average 10-15 minutes getting my PC into a workable configuration after a cold boot. Keeping the PC running 24 hours is unfortunately not a viable option for me. Very frustrating!

25 Posts

April 16th, 2014 01:00

For me 337.50 is not only almost perfectly stable display-wise, but also much faster in all tests.

20 Posts

April 16th, 2014 13:00

I work for NVIDIA Software QA team.  We have just posted a GeForce 337.61 hotfix display driver to address the half screen issue with the UltraSharp UP3214Q/UP2414Q LCD monitor.  Direct links available from the KBA below:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3491

19 Posts

April 16th, 2014 14:00

Chris, is there any contact with AMD about this? It brings a lot more power to the table when Dell does this in stead of me or any other user.

19 Posts

I work for NVIDIA Software QA team.  We have just posted a GeForce 337.61 hotfix display driver to address the half screen issue with the UltraSharp UP3214Q/UP2414Q LCD monitor.  Direct links available from the KBA below:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3491

I've installed the drivers to what seems to be success. I made two attempts to upgrade the drivers first, though I suspect the BSODs I was running into were related to my SLI configuration (which always seems buggy when enabling/disabling).

With a custom/clean driver installation the drivers were laid down just fine and I seem to be back in business. Will need to do more testing to confirm.

18 Posts

@pidge2k Thanks for the link, can I ask does this driver update fix all the issues by itself or does it need to be used together with a monitor that has had the firmware fix/ newer A01 revision?

3 Posts

I didn't read the article because it is "custhelp.com" and not "nvidia.com".  Better safe than sorry though.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

E.L.,

Nope. Nothing from AMD concerning the "Half display or no display on Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q/UP2414Q LCD monitor". Assuming your running 13.12? If yes, fill this form out.
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B2E

No Events found!