Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Vertical line on my new U2713HM

Hi,

I've just bought my new monitor, a Dell U2713HM, however there is always thin blue vertical line on my monitor. I have followed all the advice given here: http://dell.to/1bc5MEe 

I've tried adjusting the resolution, I've checked all connections, I updated all display drivers (nvidia), I've tried to connect an other computer with VGA cable, but nothing changes. I've even updated the UEFI. There is a thin blue vertical line from top to bottom whatever what I do.

What can I do?

Best regards,

-Øystein

July 19th, 2013 14:00

Hi Øystein,

I appreciate your technical expertise. The steps performed are valid and points towards a possible hardware issue.

However, I would request you to share a picture of impacted monitor. Will review it and take it further.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 19th, 2013 15:00

oysteijo,

Do you see the line when running the U2713HM self-test?

* Turn the monitor off
* Disconnect all cables from the monitor except the power cord
* Looking at the monitor buttons top to bottom, press and hold buttons 1 and 4 down for two seconds
* An all Gray screen appears. Do you see the issue?
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Red. Do you see the issue?
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Green. Do you see the issue?
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Blue. Do you see the issue?
* Press button 4. The screen changes to Black. Do you see the issue?
* Press button 4. The screen changes to White. Do you see the issue?
* To exit the test, press button 4

If you do not see the issues when running those tests, the monitor is fine. The issue is with either the video card, cabling, or the video card driver.

2 Posts

July 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi again!

> Do you see the line when running the U2713HM self-test?

Yes! I followed your steps in the above posting. I can see the line on the gray screen, I can see the line red screen (where it appears green), I can see the line on the Green screen (where it appears red), and I can see the line on the white screen. I cannot see the line on the black screen nor on the blue screen.

However I do notice something peculiar: The line is not visible when I have just turned the monitor on. The line appears only after a few minutes, and it's then "stuck". If I turn the monitor off, and leave it off for an hour or two, it is gone again, and then makes it's reappearance after a few minutes.

-Øystein

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 20th, 2013 15:00

Since your monitor has a Service Tag number, contact Dell Technical Support for your country. Provide to them the following data so they can setup a like for like monitor exchange =
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Order number:
Monitor Service Tag number:
Monitor 20 digit alphanumeric PPID serial number:
Monitor revision number found on label:
Reason: V-line shows running BID (Built-In Diagnostics)

No Events found!