Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2014 07:00

can iMac (21.5-inch 2009) be connect to Dell U2715H?

May I ask if the iMac (21.5-inch, 2009) is able to connect to the latest Dell U2715H monitor (2560x1440) using the mini-displayport to displayport cable come with the monitor and use the full resolution of U2715H?

I.e.

1. the mini-displayport end of the cable is connected to the iMac's mini-displayport and

2. the displayport end of the cable is connected to the U2715H monitor's displayport.

Thanks!

4 Posts

November 13th, 2014 19:00

Advices are greatly appreciated?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 14th, 2014 07:00

Unfortunately, Dell does not test/validate this monitor model on Apple hardware, ports, and software. Because of this, Dell does not have any troubleshooting steps to offer. You could post on the Apple Discussions Forum and see what they say.

Some apple users have mentioned that using a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or thunderbolt to DP adapter has had some success.

apple thunderbolt out --> thunderbolt to HDMI adapter --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Dell monitor HDMI in

apple thunderbolt out --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> DP to mDP cable --> Dell monitor mDP in

apple thunderbolt out --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> DP to DP cable --> Dell monitor DP in

apple HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Dell monitor HDMI in

Check the apple Discussions Forum and see what they say:
discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

The UZ2715H has DP in and HDMI in. So in theory, you would use the following setups =

apple thunderbolt out --> thunderbolt to DP adapter --> DP to DP cable --> Dell monitor DP in

apple HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Dell monitor HDMI in

4 Posts

November 15th, 2014 21:00

Thank you very much, Chris!

My iMac 2009 only has a mini-displayport output port. So, can I use the "mini-dp to dp" cable provided by Dell U2715H to connect in the following way and use the full resolution of U2715H, i.e. 2560x1440?

apple mini-displayport out --> mini-DP to DP cable --> Dell U2715H monitor DP in

Much obliged!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 15th, 2014 22:00

In theory yes. But since we never tested it, we cannot know. Ask the apple users on the apple Discussions Forum and see what they say:
discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

No Events found!