Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2003 15:00

how to connect 2nd monitor to dimension 8300

I just received a dimension 8300 desktop and I ordered 2 1800FP Dell Ultrasharp™ Digital Flat Panel Displays.

Each monitor came with 2 video cords, 1 analog and 1 digital I guess. The problem is, the computer only has jacks to receive 1 analog and 1 digital cord. 2 questions:

I'm assuming that the digital cord is the best way to go, is that correct?

How can I connect both monitors to the computer?

Thanks a lot.

Rick

157 Posts

November 12th, 2003 19:00

Rick-

The video card in your 8300 has two connections for your monitor.  You are correct in that 1 is for analog hookup and 1 is for digital hookup.  The digital hookup is usually the best way to go, most people report a sharper, clearer screen image, but some report that (because they do not have DVI capability) the analog picture works just fine for them.  I do not think you will notice too much difference between the two.  But ideally, you should see an improved image with the DVI (digital).

You will have to use the analog connection to hook up the second  1800 FP monitor to your 8300.

You didn't mention which video card you have in your new 8300.  Sometimes that makes a difference.

Message Edited by Wrenda on 11-12-2003 03:26 PM

3 Posts

November 13th, 2003 01:00

Wrenda,

Thanks for the reply. My system has a 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200.

I'm not sure about this, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading (in the monitor documentation) that you can't use both analog and digital inputs on the same computer.

If this is the case, could I just add a 2nd video card?

Thanks again,

Rick

157 Posts

November 14th, 2003 14:00

Rick-

You probably have solved your question on how to install the two monitors by now, but, if not:

I believe the GeForce FX5200 is completely capable of handling the two monitors and giving you dual monitor support.  I know documentation that comes with a monitor cautions you to not hook up both the analog and DVI cable (from the same monitor) to the card.  But I believe that you can successfully hook up one monitor using the analog cable and then the second monitor to the DVI out.  If not, I know that you can also purchase a DVI to analog connector that might solve.

Adding a second video card is possible, but you only have one AGP slot on your system (taken up with the FX5200).  If you want to add another card, it would have to be a PCI card to fit in an empty PCI slot.  I don't believe that is really necessary as many users hook up dual monitors to only one video card.  You have that capability with your FX5200.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I only use one monitor hookup (a 2000FP DVI-out).

3 Posts

November 14th, 2003 18:00

Wrenda,

You are absolutely right. I plugged 1 monitor into the digital and the other into the analog. They both work fine and to be honest, I can't notice ANY difference at all!

Thanks for saving me a lot of trouble and expense.

Rick

157 Posts

November 14th, 2003 21:00

Rick-

Glad to hear you are up and running your two new LCD's.

You said:     and to be honest, I can't notice ANY difference at all!

You can enjoy the luxury of comparing two identical monitors side by side, and visually "see" if there is a difference between what the eye discerns between analog and DVI.  Most others have to rely on memory.  There probably isn't any real difference after all.

Enjoy your new 8300!!

No Events found!